9.

"Violet.  It has been a week.  It is time to come home." Rose demanded over the phone and I sighed. She has been trying to get me to come home since she heard I was doing better.

"Rose.  What if I come home and it starts again?" I asked worried as I watched Paul trot away for patrol. He turned back and met my eyes and I softly smiled.  I laid my hand on his window and I swear I could see a smile on his wolf's face.

He hasn't spoken much this last week.  If he is watching something on TV he'll place a hand on my knee or an arm around the back of the sofa barley touching me. When he sleeps he usually leave his nightlight on so I could read.  Even though he knows I don't need it. It is like we are almost robots.  We don't speak but our lives have shifted to fit around each other.

He texted Carlisle even to bring me some clothes.  He emptied out a drawer in his dresser for me.  We were in this very fragile state that I worry about anything messing it up.

"Then we will figure it out.  You need to be with your family.  Not those. Those. Filthy.  Mutts." Rose snided and I felt anger rush through me.

"Rose.  I almost died.  Which is because of Paul being my mate.  If I choose to live then I need you to support that." I sighed into the phone as I sat on Paul's bed.

"We have been doing a ton of research on how to break a mate bond." Rose said almost overjoyed. But that just sent a world of hurt through me.

"What?" I asked breathlessly. It was like a gut punch.

"I feel like we are close to.  But you can come home and help.  You have always been our best researcher. Mrs. Two degrees in History." Rose said excited.

"How dare you?" I asked angry.

"What do you mean?" She asked confused.  I can see her on the other end with her forehead wrinkled and having the same matching small v between her eyes that I have.

"I didn't ask you to do that.  I don't want that." I said with certainty.

"Don't tell me you want that mutt as your mate." She said dismissively and with a small laugh. I had to calm my nerves as to not crush my phone.

"Yes Rosalie. I do want him as my mate.  I thought you would be happy that I found my Mate.  That I had found my Emmett. But I guess I was wrong. I will be home when I feel like it. Tell Esme I love her." I said and hung up the phone. 

I tossed my phone to the side and laid back on the bed.  The audacity of my family.  To try to find a way to break my mate bond.  I don't want that.  I actually really enjoy being here.  With Paul.  And Sam.  Even with Emily.  She is so kind.  We have spent a lot of time together when the boys are out. We clean. Talk. She is teaching me to bake Paul's favorite treats.

"Hey." I heard Sam say as he knocked on the door frame. I turned and looked at him.

"I don't want to leave." I said sitting up.  He nodded in understanding.

"It is kind of unfair for your family to try to break your mate bond." Sam said as he leaned on the door frame.

"Tell me about it. Rose isn't even thinking about what I want.  Just want she wants. She has never liked you guys.  Even since the treaty. That was almost 100 years ago." I rant pulling my hair into a bun so it would be out of my face.

"What are you going to do?" He asked and I looked up at him.

"If Rose is going to ask me to choose.  I am going to have to choose Paul.  I have just been existing theses last 75 years.  Now I actually feel like I am living. He is. He's." I stutter not knowing how to finish.

"He's your mate.  Your kind has mates and we have imprints.  I couldn't imagine a life without Emily. I choose her over my girlfriend of 3 years.  I felt awful about.  I still do.  But Emily is my whole world." Sam said with a small smile on his face.

"What is going to happen tonight? With the council?" I said worried about mine and Paul's future.

"I think you have Billy and Harry in your corner.  They will take all of our statements.  The one thing I want you to know is you will not be harmed.  We do not harm ones imprint.  It is our most absolute law." Sam said and I sighed.  It made me feel better.

"If they don't want me here any more.  What will happen?" I asked picking at my nailpolish.  I smiled at my hands remembering Paul buying me more nailpolish and whenever he saw me picking at it. He would wrap a hand around my hand to stop it. I lace my hands together to stop picking at the light pink color.

"We will figure it out.  He may not be very expressive right now.  But as someone who has first hand knowledge of his thoughts.  He is very happy.  He is very content.  The first time I have ever been able to be comfortable with the fact that Paul isn't a loose cannon." Sam said and I swear if I could blush I would.  I smiled shyly.

"We are in the very fragile place right now.  And I am just worried about rocking the boat to much. You know." I sighed looking up at him. 

"It is new territory for all of us. I can promise you.  That no matter what happens.  We will work it out. You are one of us now." Sam said with a smile and I beamed back at him.   I felt pride run through me.  He feels like I am one of them. The enemy turned to Family.

"I like the sound of that. I love the Cullen's.  They are my family but I belong here.  I feel at home here." I said in a small voice. As if I am scared they would hear me 30 miles away. 

"That is because I am here honey." I heard Paul flirt as he walked in.  I smiled not even noticing him shifting and coming in.  He sat next to me and I lace our fingers together.

"You know.  I think it might be Emily.  She has been so welcoming."I tease to Sam and he just smiled lightly while he rolled his eyes. 

"Find anything?" Sam asked and I felt the air become energized with tension.

"They crossed into Canada.  We lost their scent.  If they continue to come back we will have to intervene." Paul said.  They have been tracking Nomads for the last 3 days.

  I have gone out with them a couple of times but they are good at losing us.  It is making everyone anxious. Especially with the news reporting them as animal attacks.  They are causing panic.  Causing the humans to want to plan hunting trips. Which puts them in danger. 

"It is 3 of my kind.  I think the red haired one is the one covering their tracks.  I think they are stealing cars so they can lose us.  Either that or going into the water.  The water masks our scents." I said and Sam nodded.

"We'll catch them if they become an issue." Paul said and I looked up at him.  My gold eyes reflected in his brown eyes.

What a cosmic joke to be sitting here a mated pair as we talk about tracking and possibly killing 3 of my kind.