𝟢𝟣𝟦,𝐚 𝐛𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

Start bij het begin

Alby makes his way to the Greenie. He shares a glance with Jeff, whose sad eyes say enough. Swallowing, Alby moves a sheet over the boy. "Get the Baggers, Ben."

"But—"

"Now."

He quickly obeys and vanishes out of the door, on his way to get the boys who bury the bodies and hold guard. 'Creepy fellas', according to Zart.

"Camil, take dista—"

Too late. His chair almost falls backward when he flinches: Joan's rolling around and crying and then she lets out a scream before her eyes start to water.

For the first time, they watch hot, thick tears spill down her face. It for sure isn't the first time she has cried in the Glade, but if she did, it was at night, in secret, where she wouldn't seem weak because the only thing keeping her company were her thoughts.

"Hold her arms and legs," Jeff commands. Newt's shaking as he does it, and Clint doesn't seem the most comfortable either, but it helps Jeff tie her wrists to the bed, then her legs.

"This feels wrong," Camil says, lowering his voice. "Tying her up. Tying shuckin' anyone up only because those stupid Creators—"

"So they won't hurt anyone," Newt says. Although his voice is unsteady, it's definitely steadier than Camil's. "What happened?"

"Greenie was curious about the Maze since the second he arrived. Asked us about it the whole time," Clint explains. "I think he went for the run and she followed. We heard her yells first, then his, so I guess she got wounded first, then him." 

Newt buries his head in his hands, sighing. "How long is it gonna take 'till she wakes up?"

"Took Gally three days. George two." Jeff shrugs. "We'll have to wait. Just gotta feed her, try to note down anything she says, and make sure those ropes don't let go."

"Well, we've got to move her," Newt decides.

Clint nods in agreement. "The Builders finished the extra part. It's attached to this—"

"I mean up the Homestead," the blonde snaps. "Can't keep her unconscious and tied up in sight of all those bloody idiotic—"

"We understand," Camil says weekly. "Up the Homestead it is."

But Clint finished his sentence. "It's attached to this hut but there's a door that aparts it. Along with a lock."

Newt stares at the door at the end of the hut, rubs his chin, and then looks out of the window. "Alright. We can't move the bed up the stairs anyways. Roll it to that room. Anything happens and I'll bloody make sure—"

"—we'll get punished. We know the drill," Jeff assures. He starts moving the bed toward the extra room they got. Luckily, the thing stands on wheels so it's not hard to transport.

"It still doesn't feel right. Get her cleaned up. Got dirt and blood all over her body."

The four boys all stare at each other.

"I'm not undressing her, Camil."
"Ask someone else to do that."
"You really feel the need to remove her clothes?"
"Just make her look half decent and maybe feel better!"

Then they stare at each other again.

"I say Newt does it."
"Ask someone we fully trust and who is okay with doing it."
"I'm out."
"Yes, Newt should do it."

After all, he was the one who suggested to ask someone they fully trust and who is okay with doing it.

He tilts his head to the side. "I'm not sure if I'm okay with doing—"