It Begins...

Since I had left my bike in the plains, I decided to proceed to the city on foot. As I walk, I think about my encounter with that injured Elite. She killed one of her own to protect me. Sure, she did it because of a debt, but I never imagined she'd fire on her own kind so quickly like that. Then again, the Sangheili are known for their honour. Perhaps since I was unarmed too, the Elite would have seen my murder being dishonourable and wanted to spare her brethren from it. 

All of a sudden, I hear ships flying overhead. Looking up, my eyes widen in horror as I recognise the purple aircrafts and the numbers they arrived in. Most of them went towards the city and I realised what point of Reach I was in. 

Mutasim: Shit... So Jorge is dead already... But... What if I can somehow save the others? 

I mutter to myself. After all, I did know what would happen and how it would go down. Maybe I could save some of them? Feeling a new wave of determination, I run towards the city. 

It took me a long while since I was on foot, but when I got there, I saw people running in terror from the Brutes. They used their spike carbine weapons to slaughter both citizens and marines. I held no sympathy for Brutes. After all, that's all they were. They enjoyed nothing more than beating and killing anything and everything. 

Turning on the Energy Sword, I ran towards a Brute that held his gun to a family of four. Before he could pull the trigger, I sliced at his arm, disarming him. An agonising scream left his mouth as he held onto his stump. Not letting him get away, I stabbed him in the chest and shoved him to the ground before pulling the sword out. I quickly turn to the family. 

Mutasim: Go! Get out of here! 

They quickly thank me and run, following evacuation protocols. I pick up the Brute's carbine and sprint down the streets of the city. While I would've liked to take in the sights, this wasn't the time. Not when panic was spread across the city and not when war was being waged all over the streets. 

I continue running through the streets until an armoured figure drops down in front of me, holding a magnum. They aim it right at me, but I hold the Brute Carbine and Energy Sword up at the person. To my surprise and delight, it was a Spartan. And not just any Spartan. It was Noble Six! 

Mutasim: Holy crap... You scared me! 

Noble Six: Yeah. You had me on my toes too. 

Six's voice was feminine. Now that I had a closer look, Six definitely had a smaller and thinner build compared to the other Spartans. Was it ever really canon what gender Six was? I shake my head from the question and lower my weapons as she does the same. 

Noble Six: What are you doing with Covenant weaponry? 

Mutasim: Picked them up and decided to use them. 

Noble Six: And you know how? You don't look that old. 

Mutasim: I... Played a lot of video games. 

I mean, it wasn't really a lie. But I couldn't just walk up to Six and say "Hey Noble Six! I know how to use these weapons because I played the Halo games, even the one where you and Noble team die!" Yeahhhhhhh... I don't imagine that'd go down so well. 

Noble Six: You could get hurt kid. 

Mutasim: Look, with everything going down here, marines are gonna need all the help they can get. And I can help. 

She looks down and then back up at me with a nod. 

Noble Six: Alright. Stay close to me and don't leave my side. I'll take point. 

Mutasim: Got it. 

Noble Six: What's your name? 

Mutasim: Mutasim. 

Noble Six: Nice to meet you. Now. Let's get a move on. 

I nod and follow Six. The two of us run through the streets and buildings, fighting off any Covenant we come across and trying to save as many marines and citizens as we can. After a long time fighting and moving, we reached the top of a tower and were able to evacuate a large group of civilians. 

Marines stood around us and Pelicans hovered down. I let out a sigh as I holster my carbine and Energy Sword. 

Noble Six: Alright. You evacuate with the civilians. 

Mutasim: Not happening. I'm seeing this through to the end. 

Noble Six: That's not your call, kid. I admit, you can handle yourself pretty well, but this is war and life or death. This isn't a video game where if you die, you can restart. You only get one chance. 

Mutasim: Then let me make it count. 

She halted for a moment. I then realised that probably wasn't the best thing to say considering those were Jorge's last words. Six turned to the Pelican and then back to me. 

Noble Six: Promise me one thing. 

Mutasim: What's that? 

Noble Six: Don't die on me. 

She held a hand out to me and I grabbed hold of it, shaking her hand. 

Mutasim: Got it. 

Noble Six: Let's go. 

Six entered the Pelican first and I followed after. We sat down opposite each other as the ship took to the air. Checking my ammo, I realised the carbine was out. I toss it out of the ship and pick up a Battle Rifle that's up on the wall. Six looks at me. 

Noble Six: I think that's a little big for your liking. 

Mutasim: Three round burst rifle, right? I think I can handle it. 

Noble Six: You know your guns. I remember my first time picking up a Battle Rifle. I thought it was a one shot carbine. I was wrong. 

I chuckle and nod. 

Mutasim: Fair enough. 

Noble Six: So how did you get that Energy Sword? It's a deadly weapon that only the Elites use. 

Mutasim: Like I said, I found it. The Elite it belonged to was already dead. 

Which wasn't technically a lie. I mean, the Elite did die, I just didn't find him dead. But I wasn't about to tell Six that. Otherwise I'd have to explain why I bothered sparing an Elite. Six and I wait until we reach our destination to clear the Covenant ships blocking the civilians from escaping. 

I just hoped that I could save some of Noble team, even if it was just one person...