54. 𝘥𝘪𝘥 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘢𝘥

"Well, there's like a thousand trains here," Sarah sighs as the six of us stand on top of a disused container, having successfully made it to Wilmington.

I don't feel any better about the situation than I did before, and while I know it's for the best and helping Pope's family reclaim the cross, that doesn't remove the feeling that weighs on my heart. Like some sort of lovesick puppy I spent most of the journey flicking through pictures in my camera roll of Rafe and I, as though the memories might fade if I don't.

"Well, we know it's car 750X on the track to Raleigh," Pope tells us, pointing further down the line.

"Yeah, so now we just gotta find it," JJ nods.

"Like a needle in a haystack," I mutter, glancing at my friends, a surge of guilt slowly flooding my body.

"Well, news flash," Kiara sighs, "We're not getting out of her unnoticed with a giant cross."

"We won't have to," Pope insists confidently, "We can nab it somewhere further in the country."

"Just gotta figure out how to stop the train," I reply, each of us silently aware of how much risk stands between us and securing the cross.

"Leave that to me," JJ tells us confidently.

"How are you gonna do that?" Cleo scoffs.

"I got an uncle up in New Bern, right? When he got tipsy he'd just throw an old chain across the tracks, just for shits and giggles," JJ begins to explain, and I'm not entirely convinced yet, "And that old little chain would stop all the train traffic in coastal Carolina."

"A chain?" Kiara replies, clearly not convinced.

"Are you sure?" I add.

"He's actually right, there's a low voltage current that runs across all rail tracks, throw a chain on it, you close that circuit," Pope tells us, "It would read as another train, crossing lights come down, the science is actually pretty sound."

"Science, I knew my science," JJ tells Kie and I with a proud smirk.

"Well, we don't have a chain," Pope reminds us.

"No, but I bet Topper's dad has jumper cables in the truck," Sarah's eyes light up, "Would that work?"

"Yeah." Pope nods.

"Guys, what's going on?" Topper shouts from his truck, catching our attention, "Are we doing this or what?"

"Alright, you all wait here," Cleo tells us, "Me and Pope will go look for it and send a signal once we find it."

"Do we actually have a plan right now?" Sarah remarks, a reminder of how chaotic things normally are in situations like this.

"Think we do," JJ nods.

"That's impressive," Sarah grins, nudging me.

"Let's not jinx it while we're ahead," Pope replies, "Come on."

"Nobody ever listens to me," Cleo laughs as she and Pope climb down from the container.

"Stay safe down there, kids," I offer them a thumbs up as they reach the gravel.

"Yes ma'am," Cleo salutes me with a grin before her and Pope disappear into the train yard.

We wait a few minutes in silence quiet enough that I can hear our heartbeats beating as one with nerves.

"What's taking so long?" Sarah whispers.

"You don't think the container's already left, do you?" Kiara asks.