05. 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘢𝘵

author's note: this is a shorter chapter, so I'll treat you to a double update :)

The sound of Lana Del Rey fills the house as I roll over onto my back, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. That can only mean one thing, Kiara's awake.

I look beside me to see JJ still asleep, wearing just a pair of shorts, the two of us sleeping on the pull out bed in the living room, as we always have done. We've been friends since we were kids, so it's never been something that's bothered us, except for the few times I've woken up to his arms around my body, which he insists he was not consciously aware of.

Slowly, I sit up, realising that it's probably already a lot later in the day, based on the intensity of the sun outside.

I climb out of bed, leaving JJ sound asleep as I tiptoe out onto the porch, wearing JJ's baggy t-shirt which comes down to the top of my thigh.

Kiara is sitting on one of the chairs, drinking a mug of coffee or tea, looking out at the open water, and the marsh beyond that. I think the two of us have a similar appreciation for the cut, especially since I've moved to Figure Eight. As far as I'm concerned I'm always going to be a pogue, and living on a certain side of the island isn't going to change that.

"Morning." I whisper, careful not to disturb the boys, knowing Pope and John B are asleep in the bedroom behind us.

"Hey," She smiles, "There's coffee in the pot if you want some.

"Definitely," I smile, grabbing a mug off of the shelf and pouring coffee from the pot into it, still feeling slightly groggy after last night's drinking and smoking pot.

"Are you feeling okay?" Kiara asks as I sit on the couch beside her, "You were still pretty stoned when we went to bed last night."

"Apart from this headache, I feel super," I smile ironically, "How about you?"

"I feel ready to find some gold," Kie beams, sipping on her coffee.

"I'm glad John B's got this lifeline," I sigh, "But I'm worried how it'll hurt him if we don't find anything."

"I know," Kie replies, "But either way he's got us to support him."

"I couldn't have asked for better friends than you guys when Maggie disappeared, I just hope I get the same lifeline as John B one day." I tell her, swallowing the lump in my throat. I've tried to squash the feeling since we found that envelope Big John left for John B, but it's hard not to feel jealous. All I want is just a sign that my sister is okay, a photo, a phone call, anything, even if she doesn't want to come back to OBX, I just need to know that she's alright.

"I'm sure you will, Sid," Kie smiles, squeezing my hand gently, "You've just got to keep the hope alive, alright?"

"It just worries me so much Kie, we've always been so close, why would she disappear without a word if it was her choice to go," I say, feeling my eyes begin to gloss over, "And that terrifies me because that means someone else had to be involved."

"You don't know that, Sid." Kie tries to assure me.

"She wouldn't leave me, Kie," I mutter, feeling a tear roll down my cheek, "Not without saying goodbye."

"Hey, come here," She soothes, reaching her arms out and holding me tight, "Whatever happens, it's going to be okay."

I really fucking hope so." I whisper, wiping my cheeks clean.

"You guys okay?" I hear JJ's familiar voice over my shoulder. I pull away from Kiara to see him standing in the doorway, dressed in just a pair of shorts still.