09. 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘦

As the evening progresses I spend most of my time with Kiara, dancing or drinking, stopping by to chat to Pope every so often. I keep catching sight of Rafe across the garden, and almost every time his gaze is on me too.

While I'm talking to my parents I spot JJ weaving through the crowd, and I know that if the kook boys realise he's here they'll lose their minds.

I quickly intercept him, grabbing his arm and pulling him to the side of the dance floor, out of sight from the decking. He's wearing a white shirt and a waistcoat with a bow tie, evidently trying to create the illusion that he works here.

"Are you okay?" I whisper, referring to him being arrested.

"Of course I'm fine," He nods, and I know he's not telling the whole truth.

"But if you weren't fine, you'd tell me?" I reply.

"Yep." He nods. I trust him enough to know that when or if he needs help he'll come to me, when the time is right for him.

"Good," I smile, "Well, why are you here?"

"Just dropping something off, it's top secret." He winks.

A flicker of bright light allows me to get a better look at his face, new cuts and bruises littering his skin, "JJ, who did that to your face?"

"It was my dad," He brushes it off like it's nothing, "It's not like he's never done it before."

"You know you can stay at mine if you need to?" I offer, "If living with your dad is getting too much."

"Well neither of us will be living with our parents much longer," He smirks.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"We're back in the G-game baby." He grins.

"Seriously?" I squeal, throwing my arms around his neck and letting him lift me off the floor.

"Me and John B are working on it." He whispers.

"Okay, well I'll let you carry on with that, and I'll stop asking questions." I tell him.

"Good," He says, walking up to the decking, "I'll see you soon."

About ten minutes later while I'm standing talking to my parents I look up to see JJ being escorted out of the building by a security guard, closely followed by Rafe and his friends.

I rush over to Kiara's side as she tries to reason with the security guard, "He's our friend, let go of him, I invited him!"

And of course, JJ being JJ he shoves the guard off of him, before calling out to Kiara and I, "Mandatory power hour at Rixon's, Kie, Sid," then turning to Pope, "You too Pope."

"Rixon's Cove, let's go!" JJ shouts, "Workers of the world unite!"

I glance at Kiara with a smirk, holding out my hand, she takes it and we begin to run down the grass, our parents calling out to us. We join the boys at the end of the garden, Pope taking Kiara's hand and JJ taking mine as we follow John B down to where the boat is docked. Quickly I glance over my shoulder to see my parents, and other members of the party, including Rafe, watching us with intrigue.

For Rafe it was Sidney's carefree nature and gentle soul that set her apart from the rest of the girls on the Outer Banks.

We make it to a spot far enough away from the party, the boys setting up a campfire that we all huddle around, Kiara and I no longer bothered about keeping our dresses in tact.

"So my dad is already going to kill me, so you may as well tell us why we're here." Pope sighs.

"The gold never went down with The Royal Merchant," John B announces, "It's been here the whole time."