Sweet Dreams ~ 30

"Why didn't you inform us that you don't need to make eye contact to control someone?" Steve inquires as he closes the door to Evangeline's guest room behind them.

After dropping her bombshell, other team members arrive at the compound following Stark's summons. Eva takes advantage of the opportunity to slip away, preferring not to be the center of attention no longer. Rogers observes her departure and follows suit, exchanging a small nod with Bucky as they both acknowledge Eva's and his departure.

Unaware of Steve trailing a few steps behind her, Evangeline seeks solace in her temporary quarters. As she steps inside and attempts to shut the door forcefully, she turns around upon realizing that it doesn't close completely, her eyes widening slightly upon seeing Steve.

"Entre, pourquoi ne pas?" She utters sarcastically, inviting him inside even though he has already crossed the threshold.

"Eva," his voice carries the same sternness he tends to use when addressing her by name, and she exhales deeply, tugging on the device around her neck absentmindedly. "The same reason for every other thing I've been accused of not disclosing. Because you didn't ask."

Steve rolls his eyes, taking a step back to lean against the door, arms folded.

"And before you start saying that you did ask me during that pathetic excuse for an interrogation, I did actually demonstrate how my powers worked," Evangeline clarifies, and he frowns, leaving her to elaborate further. "Was I maintaining eye contact with Natasha the entire time? Or when I made you sleep. It was too dark to see your eyes in that room," she explains, and he continues his silence, absorbing her words and raising a single skeptical brow.

Eva settles onto the bed, letting herself recline onto the pillows with a light huff. "I mean, maintaining eye contact definitely helps... but no. I don't need to lock eyes with someone to control them," Eva confirms, her gaze briefly shifting to the soldier before returning to the ceiling.

Steve pushes himself away from the door and steps closer, arms still folded. "So what's the range of it then? How far can you control someone? Do they have to be in the same room as you or?" He trails his words off, and she glances up at him with a small smile.

"If I took this off, I could get Tony to be my personal butler, and he'd be here in ten seconds flat without a single word leaving my mouth."

His expression is a mix of impressed yet impassive, and Eva senses she's about to be reprimanded by him once more. She sits up. "Mais je ne le ferai pas, Steve," she promises, affirming she won't.

Steve notes the use of his name and smiles lightly. "You don't address me by my actual name very often, Eva."

She blinks at this, looking somewhat perplexed at the change of subject, and she looks away awkwardly. "I, uh, I can't say I've ever really noticed."

He maintains his smile, but instead of responding immediately, he strides back to the door slowly, prepared to leave her to rest while he and the rest of the team plan for the safehouse. When he reaches the door, hand on the handle, he turns back. "Well, Evangeline Fontaine, you may as well get some rest. It's late, and Stark wants us up early," he informs, his professionalism resurfacing, though a softer expression graces his eyes.

Eva falters slightly at the sound of her full name from Steve. All she can manage is a small nod, her eyes widening. Steve turns back and opens the door.

"Steve?" She says his name again, halting his movement, and he looks back over.

"Yes, Eva?"

Evangeline hesitates, unsure of what she was even going to say. Eventually, she shakes her head, slowly sinking back into the pillows with a small smile. "Ce n'est rien."