Lights Out ~ 15

Natasha and Tony find solace in the rec room, each occupying separate chairs, their expressions weighted with gravity as a profound silence envelops their contemplations. The aftermath of Eva's encounter in the interrogation room lingers in their minds, casting a somber pall over the room. Steve, present but distant, has sought refuge in the kitchenette, maintaining a deliberate distance.

"I had no control, Tony," Natasha murmurs, her gaze not meeting his, instead fixed beyond him as her thoughts wander. "All she had to do was give a command. I couldn't fight it."

"We know, Nat. We were all in that room. We witnessed the extent of Eva's capabilities," Tony replies, his eyes shifting to Natasha. Meanwhile, Steve avoids their gaze, immersing himself in the task of rinsing glasses under the tap.

"I could have killed you!" she retorts, her eyes finally snapping to Stark, unimpressed by his nonchalant attitude towards the situation.

"Okay, but you didn't," he argues back, ready to elaborate, yet Natasha beats him to it.

"That's not the point, Tony!" The room descends into silence once more, the only audible sound being the running water from the tap. Steve, still with his back to them both, listens intently. Natasha, now on her feet, paces anxiously, her agitation palpable.

"Eva turned me into her personal hitman, all while forcing Wanda into a standstill with just a look and a couple of words. This woman could control an army if she wanted to!" Natasha exclaims, her words charged with urgency as she paces, attempting to calm her nerves.

"Well, let's hope that isn't on Eva's agenda," Steve comments, switching off the tap and turning to face the other two, leaning against the counter as he does.

Tony clenches his jaw in thought, his eyes drifting to the super soldier. "Her agenda is causing chaos, and she's been successful thus far, Rogers."

Steve opens his mouth, but Natasha is quicker once again. "So who's the threat now? Who do we focus on, Eva or Ultron?" She is much calmer now, calculated, though still pacing.

Tony looks down at his hand, fiddling around with the USB drive aimlessly after taking it from the table before they left Eva locked in alone.

"Both," he responds, now fully focused on the drive. "We can't ignore what Wanda saw in her mind, true or not." He shoves the USB into his pocket and rises to his feet. "I'll contact Banner. We can both use the lab downstairs to examine what is actually on the drive. As for Eva..." His eyes land on Steve.

"She's your responsibility."

Steve rolls his eyes, unimpressed. "Responsibility? What am I meant to do with her exactly?"

Tony is already walking towards the elevator but turns to respond to Steve.

"Well, Eva seems to have taken a liking to you. She contacted you, remember? We need to figure out what her actual game is here before she makes her next move."

Steve goes to protest; however, Stark holds out a finger, walking backward slowly. "Just don't piss her off, Rogers, and you'll be fine." He looks to Natasha as he presses the now-fixed button to call the elevator. "Nat, help Wanda and Vision contact the team and get them here."

The door opens, and Tony steps in backward, pressing the button inside to close the doors before the two of them can argue with the orders. Natasha only sighs, pulling out her cell and heading for the stairs. "Steve, please be careful," she says and also leaves, leaving Steve alone, pondering on what to do next.

The responsibility of keeping an eye on Eva feels like an added burden, especially considering her formidable abilities. He glances around the rec room, a room that has witnessed both camaraderie and conflict among the Avengers. The silent aftermath of Eva's influence hangs in the air, making every decision crucial.