The Outgoing Link ~ 19

Moments have passed. Tony instructs Sam, Clint, and Natasha to join him in the search for Ultron, who has taken off in one of Stark's suits.

Eva remains in the armchair where she was placed, her ankles now untied by Steve. The team collectively agrees that, for the time being, Evangeline poses no immediate threat. Peter perches on the armrest of the chair, positioned to her left, keeping a vigilant eye on her while the rest of the team devises plans for what comes next.

"We must ensure Ultron cannot regain access to Evangeline's mind," Bruce declares, his words directed to no one in particular, yet the entire room listens intently.

"And how do we prevent him from taking over Eva again whenever he pleases?" Steve challenges. He positions himself nearer to the side of the room where Eva is, though a considerable distance remains between them.

"I believe he won't attempt it while aware of the imminent search," Vision asserts, his gaze shifting between each team member. "Maintaining a psychic link requires concentration. Currently, he has other priorities."

"Alright, so we've got some time to work this out," Bruce remarks, pacing slowly and tapping his bottom lip in contemplation.

Eva only half-listens to the team's conversation and the exchange of ideas. She lacks a clear understanding of the situation and doesn't particularly care. Though she notices Peter's intense gaze on her, she struggles to decipher the emotion he is experiencing. Choosing to include him in her practiced art of avoidance, she remains detached from the ongoing discussion.

"So, let's circle back to the question of how we prevent Ultron from infiltrating Eva's mind," Steve interjects, refocusing the conversation.

"We block the psychic link," Vision responds succinctly. Steve furrows his brow in confusion, but Bruce halts his pacing and snaps his fingers in acknowledgment to Vision.

"Yes!" Bruce exclaims, capturing Eva's attention and causing Peter's gaze to shift toward the scientist.

"And how do you propose we accomplish that?" Steve asks, arms folded and a hint of skepticism in his tone.

"We create a device for Eva—a tool designed to block the psychic link and thwart Ultron from entering her mind," Bruce elaborates, his mind deeply engaged with Vision's suggestion.

"Could you truly fashion something like that?" Wanda's voice cuts through the room, breaking her silence. Bruce offers a smile in response.

"You can create anything if you know what you're doing," he asserts, hinting at the potential feasibility of the task. He continues to pace, lost in thought. "Blocking the incoming link would be too daunting given the time constraints. But the outgoing link..." He turns slowly, pointing towards Evangeline—the outgoing link.

"You want to devise something that severs Eva's psychic connection?" Peter raises a brow, his mind whirring. "Wouldn't that also put a stop to—"

"Evangeline's mind control? In theory, the device would. Yes," Bruce interjects, swiftly addressing the question.

Eva shifts out of her seat, clearly displeased, her eyes fixed on Bruce. "No way! You are not going anywhere near me with some makeshift device designed to block my powers!" she argues, glaring. Bruce and Vision exchange a knowing glance, as do Peter and Steve.

"You're not left with much of a choice, Eva," Wanda reminds her psychic counterpart, Eva's glare now fixated on her as she approaches slowly.

"Say that again, and we'll soon see who has a choice, Wanda," Eva threatens, causing both Steve and Peter to shift from their positions, prepared to intervene. Wanda holds her ground, the two mind manipulators exchanging challenging stares.