Never Meet Your Heroes ~ 1

"Eva, allow me to introduce you to our very own Captain America, Steve Rogers,"

Peter Parker enthusiastically declares to his wide-eyed friend as Steve strides into the meeting room of the avenger's compound, extending a welcoming hand. Behind Steve, Peter subtly gives Eva a reassuring thumbs-up, an almost unnoticed gesture in the midst of her starstruck awe.

"Evangeline? Pleasure to meet you. Peter mentioned you're a fan," Steve says with a gracious smile, his polite demeanor concealing the favor he's doing for his younger Avenger counterpart, Peter. Eva clears her throat lightly, swallowing, and offers a curt smile.

"Hi, um, could you excuse me for a second?" she utters, rubbing her forehead as if dispelling a headache. Smiling politely, she brushes past both Avengers. Steve's gaze follows her exit, his expression turning to one of confusion. Peter can only shrug, puzzled by his friend's abrupt departure despite her weeks-long insistence on meeting Captain America.

"I've told Peter a thousand times!" Eva's voice echoes from the hallway, surprising both Peter and Steve. Peter frowns, curious about whom his female friend is addressing. Steve keeps his focus on Peter, wincing as Eva's tirade continues.

"I never wanted to meet Captain America in person!" she exclaims loudly, her voice piercing through the halls. Steve's frown deepens, and Peter looks on helplessly, uncertain of how to salvage the situation.

"I just wanted a picture! You can't disappoint a picture! I hate you, Peter!" Eva's frustrated cries resonate outside the hall, creating quite a scene. Steve raises an eyebrow, and Peter folds his arms, offering an awkward smile.

"She doesn't mean that," he quietly assures Steve.

"I hate you so much!" Eva exclaims and then screams, leaving only silence after a door slams shut outside the hall. The two men exchange disturbed glances.

"What on earth was that about, Parker?"

***

Peter is currently on his phone, dialling Eva's number to discern precisely what transpired. Steve has exited the room to fulfil his ongoing responsibilities, considering his task of acquainting Evangeline now accomplished in his perspective. Peter quietly paces across the room, phone pressed to his ear, awaiting Eva's response. When she answers, he doesn't allow her the opportunity to speak first.

"Eva, where did you go? Can you come back, please? What in the world just happened?" Peter rambles on, halting his pacing.

Eva is briskly navigating the streets of New York after hastily departing the compound, affording herself minimal time to contemplate the recent daring act.

"Oh no, that ranks among the top three embarrassing moments for me. I can't return there right now," she quickly explains on the other end of the line, still massaging her forehead as if the discomfort has intensified.

"You told me you were a fan, and I thought it would be a fun surprise to meet him, Eva. Please come back; I'm sure Steve will understand," Peter pleads, visibly concerned for his friend's recent outburst, having never seen Eva react this way before.

"Nope! I am not stepping foot back in there... Merde, I think I might be lost," Eva says, slowing her walk as she glances around. Unaccustomed to the streets of New York, she struggles to get her bearings.

Peter, now pacing more casually down the hall that Eva recently occupied, asks, "Lost? What do you mean? Where are you?"

"Well, if I knew that, Peter, then I wouldn't be lost," Eva snaps at her friend but quickly sighs. "I ran the hell out of there, and now I don't know which way I went."

"Well, what's around you, Eva?" Peter frowns, momentarily forgetting that Evangeline isn't originally from the city.

"Is that a joke? All I see are tall buildings and people!" she hisses quietly to him, stepping up her pace once more as she reaches the end of a road to cross. Peter pinches the bridge of his nose and presses the inside of his cheek with his tongue, clearly becoming frustrated with Eva.

"Everything okay?" Steve returns, not expecting Peter to be out in the halls. His look is a stern one, and Peter can only nod, still with his phone to his ear.

"Oh, he's still there, isn't he?" Eva crosses the road with other citizens and many tourists around. "I can hear him. It's too late for me now anyhow; I'm lost. I will start a new life," she exaggerates, and Peter can only sigh exasperatedly as he looks back up to Steve, indicating that he is going to need his help.

"Evangeline, don't be ridiculous. We are coming to find you. Stay where you are," he declares.

"Huh? Who is 'we'? Peter, no. Do not bring Captain America!" Eva argues down the phone.

"Just stay put!" Peter retorts and takes the phone away from his ear as Eva continues to argue.

"No, Peter! Don't you dare hang up on me."

With a click of a button, he does just that, one hand now resting against the wall as he sighs and places his phone back into his back pocket.

"Is Evangeline, okay?" Steve asks, expressing concern for Peter, observing the stress this has caused.

"She's fine. She's lost, but she's fine. She wouldn't have gotten far, but I said we would find her," he straightens up, and Steve now can only sigh, disapprovingly realizing how he has now been tied into their messy friendship.

Peter takes a deep breath, determined to resolve the situation. He glances at Steve, who wears an expression of reluctant acceptance.

"We need to find her," Peter declares, and the two of them head towards the exit of the building, ready to navigate the labyrinth of New York streets.

Meanwhile, Eva is still walking through the city, muttering to herself as she attempts to navigate the unfamiliar surroundings.

"I can't believe I let this happen. I should have just stayed in the room," she mumbles, weaving through the bustling crowd.

Back at the compound, Steve follows Peter with a sigh. "So is she always so-?"

Peter shrugs, "Intense? Yes and no."

As they step out into the busy New York streets, the mission to locate Eva begins. Peter keeps calling her name into his phone, hoping she hasn't wandered too far. Steve scans the surroundings, his eyes alert for any sign of Peter's wayward friend, grateful that he has dressed down for the occasion, easily being able to blend in with the citizens of New York.

In the midst of the chaos, Eva answers her phone, still grumbling, "You better not have brought Captain America with you."

Peter chuckles, "Just stay put. We're on our way. And no more running away, okay?"

Eva sighs, realizing she's cornered, "Fine, fine. But make it quick. I'm starting to think New York is not my ideal place for a fresh start."