Chapter 17 Doing business

Start from the beginning

Madam Xie had heard about this, and although she was still angry, she also showed a satisfied look, "If you can become close to her, you can slowly build a good relationship with the other sisters, which is very good."

You missed the point, Auntie.

Xie Miao held her forehead and said helplessly: "Baochang Pavilion and Zhiwei Lou are places that I never go in or out on weekdays, or in other words, I can't afford to go in and out at all. Just a toy or a meal costs several hundred taels. But if I can earn money, everything will be no problem."

Madam Xie said: "If you are short of silver, just tell me. Why do you need to earn it yourself?" After saying that, she called Yanzi, "Yanzi, go and get the five hundred taels of silver notes -"

Xie Miao quickly stopped her, "Aunt, that's not what I meant."

Madam Xie was slightly unhappy, "When did you start to have differences with me? Is it because..." She put her left hand on her lower abdomen and frowned: "Because aunt is pregnant, you are angry and want to draw clear boundaries with me?"

Xie Miao couldn't laugh or cry for a moment, "Aunt, what are you thinking about? Of course not."

She looked at Madam Xie's abdomen and covered it carefully, "You have my smart little cousin in your belly. How can I get angry with him? It's not enough to dote on him."

Madam Xie saw that her expression didn't seem to be fake, and the knot in her chest dissipated a bit. She smiled and asked, "How do you know he is a younger brother and not a younger sister?"

Xie Miao shook her head and pretended to be profound, "I certainly know that my aunt is pregnant with a younger brother. If you don't believe me, just wait and see." She then asked, "Does Aunt want a son or a daughter?"

"Son." Madam Xie said without hesitation.

"Why?"

Madam Xie lowered her eyelids and looking confused, "Because of the way of the world, men are always treated favourably."

How could she not know the deep meaning behind A-Miao's words? In terms of status, although she was the second wife and held the housekeeping rights of the Cui Mansion, but the children of the second house are both children of the late Madam He. Even if she gave birth to the child in her belly, there is a huge age difference between them, and there is no way to go beyond it.

She believes that Madam Cui loves her only on the premise that she kept Cui Mansion in order. After all, there was no blood relationship, and some things could not withstand scrutiny.

The servants always follow the wind, but she acts with moderation and resoluteness, and in recent years she has won over the public. But what about A-Miao? She was a relative brought in by herself. She did not have a strong background and was still young. In order to not to make it difficult for her as an aunt, she often swallowed the grievances she suffered. And she is already the wife of the Cui family, so she cannot protect her without any scruples.

If A-Miao were a man, she would be able to study, gain fame, and get an official position. It would also be considered as a justification for her deceased brother and sister-in-law. But she was born a girl, so Madam Xie thought a lot and chose a relatively simple path to success for her: cultivating a relationship with Cui Muli and marrying into the Cui family. All the problems would be solved.

Unexpectedly, Xie Miao changed her mind and was unwilling to marry Cui Muli.

Madam Xie patted her hand and said earnestly: "A-Miao, listen to what Auntie say. As women, you and I have a much harder time than men. It's okay to laugh and joke in private, but we must abide by the etiquette in our words and deeds in public, otherwise it attracts criticism and brings no peace."

The subtext is: if the daughter goes out to do business, it will cause gossip and make it difficult for her to get married.

The words came around again, but Xie Miao did not flinch and instead became more fearless, "The world is harsh on women, so should we obey? The world wants women to obey their fathers at home, so we should obey our fathers at home? The world wants women to obey their husbands when they get married, so we should marry and obey our husband? The world says that women cannot do business, so we should stay confined to the inner house?"

Madam Xie said: "The world is like this..."

Xie Miao's tone was calm but decisive, "Then I will not follow the rules of this world."

Just kidding, she has already lived her whole life again, why does she still care about the world? It's up to oneself to be happy.

Madam Xie had a headache, and she felt that her niece, who had always been obedient, had become frighteningly rebellious, "A-Miao, please calm down."

"I am calmer than ever." Xie Miao said: "Aunt, is there only one way I can go? Follow Cui Muli and ask him to give some love. If I am lucky, I will marry into the Cui family and live with him as a guest. Everything, all my glory and status will be attached to him. If I leave him, I will be worthless. I may die at the foot of the mountain without anyone looking for me. And it won't be long before Cui Muli welcomes new people through the door——"

Madam Xie sensed something was wrong and hurriedly said, "Muli is not that kind of person."

"What kind of person is he, and what does it have to do with me?" Xie Miao chuckled, unable to hide her sarcasm, "I only know that if you put your whole life on others, you deserve to be miserable and hateful."

Madam Xie was stunned when she saw a flash of red at the end of her niece's eyes, looking a bit sad and resentful.

A-Miao, this is... this is...

Xie Miao's gaffe was fleeting. She said loudly and resonantly: "Aunt, I don't want to be anyone's accessory. I just want to be Xie Miao."

The words were precise and the eyes were firm, and there was no room for manoeuvre.

Madam Xie looked at her steadily, then moved her eyes away after a long time. She said angrily: "Since you have already decided, why bother asking me?"

This question is on point.

Xie Miao suddenly lost her momentum then lowered her head. She said embarrassedly: "I was thinking, maybe, perhaps, probably, my aunt could lend me some money first?"

Madam Xie: "..."