Chapter Twelve: Thou Shalt Not Date Your Roommate

Start from the beginning

How did you know that?

He called me and I didn't answer and he called Jo and she didn't answer so he called Katniss. He was completely panicking.

Oh. Maybe it's that then. I didn't realize he was that upset.

What else did you say to him when you go home? Where were you anyway?

A guy at work asked me to dinner.

And you told him this?

Yeah.

Bingo.

No way.

Yes. I'm telling you. Finnick is completely jealous of you and this guy.

No, he's not.

How did you feel when he was with Angie?

Horrible, but that's different.

No, it isn't Annie. Don't be fucking dumb. You guys like each other but you're taking forever to admit it. So he's upset because he likes you and you went out with another guy.

I only went out with this guy because I'm falling for Finnick and I want to forget about him because we'll never happen.

Well, that's fucked up. Listen, I'll talk to you tomorrow. I have a paper to write, and if I know you, I know that you have something to do also.

Thanks.

Don't mention it. You need to tell me about this boy tomorrow. Don't forget!

Annie just laughs and goes back to her blank word document. Maybe Madge is right. Maybe Finnick is jealous. Maybe he does like her. So should she forget about Kendall and ask Finnick out? Or wait for him to make the first move? That could take forever like Madge said. Annie sighs and decides to at least try and start this story. She doesn't even have an idea for it yet.

His eyes are green. They're so green that they envy all of the forests I have ever seen. The trees would be jealous of him because they can never reach that shade of green. Annie groans. She can't even escape him while writing her story. It's late. I should sleep.

She turns off the lights in the apartment and gets under the covers. She closes her eyes and all she can see is green.

***

Finnick feels the high beginning to hit and him and eat the other half of the brownie. He pulls out his laptop and hopes he can get some work done. The weed calms him, especially when he eats it as opposed to smoking it. He just hates the way the smoke makes his lungs feel. Also, his foster mom smoked, and there are bad memories attached to that.

He hasn't talked to his foster mom in years. There was an incident between them when he was younger that he didn't fully understand until he was all grown up, and when he understood the gravity of the situation, he stopped talking to her.

He tries to push Annie and anything else stressful as far back into his head as possible. But no matter how hard he tries, he still thinks about her. He decides to do what he does best when a situation seems too tough; he makes a list. He pulls a notebook out of his night table drawer that he always uses when he wants to make a list. Lists just help him clear his head. He opens to a new page and writes on the top, Annie. Then underneath he makes a chart and writes pros on one side and cons on the other. He starts on the cons side first so he can tear himself down and then build himself up.

Guy at work, he writes. This is a valid excuse. She can actually be into him and start dating him and then he has no chance whatever what happens.