Chapter Eleven

I walk to the practice field with Lizzie, my co-captain, laughing as I adjust my cheer bag. I already had my uniform on, making sure to add a pep in my step. We usually wear our cheer uniforms during our first practice with the recruits. Just a way to feel more together.

"I swear H he was all like—" Lizzie started and then made her voice as deep as she could, "if you keep cheating on these tests you can kiss those pom poms away!" She stepped in front of me as she continued the story, walking backward, "and I was all like, but Mr. Peters! I am the one the girls cheat off of in math class! I am the only one in calculus!"

I laugh as I continue walking, "He is such a tyrant! God! Men are awful!" I shake my head at the thought.

"Hallie!" I hear yelled behind me. I roll my eyes at the voice and Lizzie follows as she stops, muttering 'speaking of awful men'.

I turned around and came face to face with Billy as he caught up to me. "You got to practice with the recruits today?" I nod, "You need a ride home afterward? I'd like to talk about us."

"Billy, how many times do I have to tell you?" I whine as I toss my head back. "Never!" I groan. I look back at him as I say, "Sabrina offered me a ride anyway. So, just leave me alone." I turn away from him as I storm over to where all the other girls are.

Sabrina and Roz jog over to me as I set my stuff down. I continue to gripe about ex-boyfriends and men who feel entitled. "I saw Billy was talking to you again," Sabrina said to me as I finished tying up my shoelaces.

"You guys have been broken up for months now! Almost a full year! How has he not gotten the hint?" Sabrina continued as she took a seat next to me.

"I think he believes he has a chance since you keep letting him give you rides after school." Roz scolds me, looking down at my face with a pointed look.

"When all my rides abandon me for band practices or fighting the great evils of the world—-" I look between the two girls as I stand up dusting off my uniform. "You kind of have to let the idiotic ex give you a ride home."

I start my way to the field as I look back at them shouting, "Now let's forget about how terrible men are and do this thing bitches!!" I hear a whistle and turn to coach, "Sorry."

As we start our cheer and go through the moves, I make sure to treat this as a real performance. You always perform the way you practice. I run to one side of the group looking at Lizzie right across from on the other side. We continue our chant song while counting as we run to do our tricks.

I finish with a flip sticking it perfectly as I hear boys whistle and cheer not far from us. I contain my eye roll when I hear a voice scream That's my girl!

I turn back to take my next position as I spot a familiar head of blonde hair by the fences of the schoolyard.

Throughout the rest of the performance, I keep glancing at the blonde male. Feeling my smile grow, my heart rate pick up, and my stomach flutter. As we all finish and strike our last pose I wave my pom poms with Lizzie with the biggest smile.

Sabrina, Roz, Lizzie, and I all hug each other as the other cheerleaders join our excitement. I pulled away and turned to where Caliban had been observing and he was no longer there. My smile drops a little.

Lizzie pulled me with her to go speak to Sabrina and Roz after we spoke with the rest of the team. "Great form Roz! Awesome energy Sabrina." She tells them as I let go of her hand changing my shoes into my beat-up Converse.

"Oh, thanks, Lizzie," Sabrina responds

"With you two on our squad, we're going to crush the pep rally." She squeals a little. I laugh at her constant peppy excitement. That's what I always loved about Lizzie, was being the epitome of a high school cheerleader and owning it.

"Well, we're super excited," Roz speaks up grabbing her bag as Sabrina agrees with her.

"Same! Well, catch you later." Lizzie smiles at them, I reach my arm out for our handshake. She grabs my arm hoisting me up as we start our handshake and the little chant we came up with.

Our cheers are loud

We stand so proud

Red and Gold

Our sass so bold

We turn side to side as we bump our hips together

These hips don't lie

But they make guys sigh

Lizzie twirls me as I do the same to her

We're Z and H

We slay and ate

We finished as we blew a kiss to each other. Lizzie runs away waving bye as I grab all my stuff. Sabrina and Roz are smiling as they shake their heads. "What?" I ask them, "We made that up when we found out we were going to be co-captains." I start to walk off the bleachers as the two laugh at me.

We continue to walk as we're stopped by Ms. Wardwell. "Hello, girls." She sighs to us. I recognize that tone and I roll my eyes as Sabrina and Roz catch up next to me.

"Hey, Ms. Wardwell," Sabrina says, not catching on that it is not our teacher.

Lilith removes her sunglasses as she tells us, "Guess again."

"Madam Satan," Sabrina responds after realizing. I roll my eyes at the way Sabrina still calls her that. We both know she doesn't have that title anymore.

"Your Highness and I have a business to discuss, but...." Lilith starts as she looks at Roz and me, "I'd rather not do it in such a—" she swallows "cheerful setting."

"Alright, I guess that's our cue." I start and grab Roz's arm pulling her away as Sabrina follows Lilith in the opposite direction.