39. World-Class (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Aryu!" Y/N yelled. "Pass to wherever the space is!"

If Aryu heard, he didn't give any indication. Y/N tensed, continuing to move erratically from side to side. His heart was pounding, his entire body filled with energy.

Blake made a mistake. He slowed down, just a tad, and that was all Y/N needed to fully shake him off. It has to be now!

He met Aryu's eyes, before looking away to stare a hole into a free area of the field. Do it!

Aryu kicked the ball. Straight past Silva, who actually nearly managed to stop it with a crazy powerful jump. It went far down the pitch, and like a cheetah, Y/N sprinted after it.

He was there before anyone else. One foot stopped the ball. The sound of footsteps behind him, heavy breathing. Two players to his right, the sideline to the left. Two players in front of him.

Without even looking, Y/N instinctively stepped sideways. His foot shot out to curl the ball in front of his other foot. He leant sideways, barely getting out of the way in time as Silva barreled past, a juggernaut of flesh and muscle.

Before he could breathe, Blake was on him. One of his longer arms stretched out, pressing against Y/N's chest and forcing him back as he went for the ball. Y/N coughed, surprised by the aggression. He managed to pull the ball back, but he was slowly being pushed towards the sideline. Blake didn't even look like he was trying, even as Y/N struggled furiously.

He kicked the ball out. It was a risky play. Anybody could've gone for it. He nudged it right past Blake's feet, taking a step back to get out of the man's press. Then, he stooped low, speeding past him and scooping up the ball on the other side.

Y/N's breath caught in his throat. His head rang with a silent alarm. He stepped forwards, flicking the ball into the air. The ball had barely risen, before-

Loki came by like a freight train, his two-footed slide tackle barely missing where the ball had been milliseconds ago. Y/N's eyes widened with shock, and he leapt forwards.

Three of them were behind him. In a few seconds, they would come after him again. He had to shoot.

"Is dribbling the only thing you're good at?" Luna appeared, smiling mockingly down at Y/N. "Limited skill set there, masochist."

"Masochist?" Y/N sped towards the goal, forcing Luna to fall in step with him. Both of them were breathing heavily.

"Wasting your life on a dream that'll never come true..." He grinned. "You think you're gonna be a pro? Don't make me laugh. I think you just like the pain of failure."

Y/N's eyes narrowed. Stuck-up captain.

He stopped the ball dead in its tracks, just like he'd done so many times before. It was one of his most simple, yet effective moves. A stop that completely killed his own momentum.

Luna overshot, his speed carrying him way past Y/N. Y/N risked a glance behind him.

Loki was sprinting for him. Y/N had to shoot, now. And he did, a lightning fast swing of his right foot that hit the ball dead centre.

It was a short distance to the goal, but it was a terrifying shot. The ball was in the back of the net before Y/N's leg touched the floor again. Across the field, his teammates gaped, and his enemies scowled.

The whistle blew overhead. 3-2, to Team Red.

🥕🥕🥕

Y/N was tired beyond belief.

After years of holding back, after years of boredom, he was finally being challenged. He was finally going all out, and just from those minutes of gameplay, it was clear how lacking in stamina he was.