Chapter 5: Is this a date?

Lily was buzzing with anticipation as she finished getting ready for her outing with Declan. On a video call with the girls, she proudly showcased her look – a black t-shirt, a stylish leather jacket, black denim shorts, and fishnet stockings. Her hair was perfectly styled, and her makeup added a touch of glamour.

Nadine couldn't help but gush, "Lily, you look amazing! Declan won't stand a chance!"

Jasmine joined in, "Seriously, Lily, if he doesn't realise what he's got in front of him, he needs glasses."

Chloe chimed in, "Where is he taking you, by the way? A date like this deserves a fancy setting."

Lily laughed, "Actually, it's nothing too fancy. We're just having a film night at his place."

The girls exchanged excited glances, and Nadine wiggled her eyebrows, "A film night? Classic move. He's totally into you."

Jasmine added with a grin, "Maybe he's planning a move. You know, the old 'yawn and stretch' trick."

Lily rolled her eyes playfully, "Guys, come on! Let's not get carried away. Remember, he's still dating Brittany."

Chloe's expression turned more serious, "Right, Lily. Don't let the excitement cloud your judgement. But we're here for you, no matter what happens."

The girls continued to chat and speculate about the evening, their laughter echoing through the video call. Lily appreciated their support but couldn't help the flutter of nerves and excitement as she signed off to meet Declan. Whatever happened, she was ready for a memorable night.

The soft glow of the kitchen lights cast a warm atmosphere as Declan sat with his father, both casually chatting in the familiar surroundings of their home. The air was filled with the aroma of a home-cooked meal, evidence of the relaxed nature of their evening.

Declan's father, with a teasing grin, remarked, "Well, you must be really smitten with this Lily if you cleaned your room that fast."

Declan chuckled, a bit bashful, "Come on, Dad. We're just hanging out."

His father raised an eyebrow, a knowing glint in his eye, "Sure, just hanging out. I won't pry, but you know you can talk to me about anything, right?"

Declan appreciated his father's understanding, offering a half-smile, "I know, Dad. But, seriously, it's not like that. I'm still dating Brittany."

His father shrugged, a playful smirk on his face, "Hey, no judgments here. Just remember not to do anything I wouldn't do."

With a jingle of keys, Declan's father grabbed his coat, adding, "I'm off for the night. Have fun with your... hangout."

Declan chuckled as his father left, appreciating the freedom to make his own choices and thankful for the support, even if it came with a hint of good-natured teasing. As he prepared for the evening with Lily, he couldn't shake the mixed emotions swirling within him – a blend of excitement, nervousness, and a lingering sense of loyalty to Brittany.

The doorbell's chime echoed through the hallway, signalling Lily's arrival. Declan, feeling a mix of anticipation and nerves, swiftly made his way to the door, his father's teasing words echoing in the back of his mind.

As Declan opened the door, he was momentarily captivated by Lily's appearance. Caught in the midst of a compliment, he smoothly adjusted, "You look great tonight."

Lily grinned, "Thanks, Declan. You don't look too bad yourself."

With an inviting gesture, Declan welcomed her inside. "Come on in. Can I get you something to drink?"