Chapter Twenty Four

Mulai dari awal

"Nothing. There's just something I've been meaning to speak to you both about."

"Then out with it," her father said, "So we can stop this worrying and deal with the situation at hand."

Amelia nodded in agreement.

"Alright then," she muttered, steadying her loose breaths. "Mom, Daddy, I... am in love with somebody."

Her parents expressions didn't alter, aside from a miniscule raising of the brows.

"And that, is what all of this fuss is about?" Adam asked, rather unimpressed. "Was it necessary to worry us like that?"

"Well, don't you want to know who I'm in love with??" she questioned defensively.

"Of course!" Joan squealed, clapping her hands together. "Oh, Adam, don't you dare chide her, isn't this wonderful? Our baby's in love!"

Adam's expression softened. "Of course," he agreed, grasping his wife's hand. "Who is this man, Amelia? And why did you feel the need to announce him in such a theatrical manner?"

Amelia schooled herself into a calm state, forcing herself not to point out the considerable irony in each of their words and demeanours.

"The man in question is Jon," she challenged, daring them to say something in regard to him. "Bon Jovi," she added as an afterthought.

It seemed to click in both her parent's minds why exactly Richie was absent from this discussion.

"Goodness," Joan muttered, a hand quaintly covering her mouth. "And how on earth did that come about?"

"It came about in 1978," Amelia answered sharply. "In high school."

Adam sat forward in his chair, an unnerving recognition settling into his harsh features. "What the deuce do you mean?"

"It's exactly as I say, Daddy."

"Is this some sort of joke?" he asked.

"What part of my demeanour screams joke to you, Daddy? Why do you think Richie won't talk to me?"

"That's an awfully big secret to keep for ten years, Amelia," Joan spoke softly. "Why on earth would you not bring it to light sooner?"

"Mom!" she cried out, "I had no choice! Don't you think that I tried? You and Daddy are bigots! You could never conceive of me marrying a man like Jon, not before Richie made you eat every bad word you'd ever said about 'rockstars'."

"Don't get hysterical," Adam said.

"Hysterical!? I was so in love with him, Daddy, I was so proud of the man he was. He's a good man, gentle and kind and warm and funny and.. and everything you could ever wish for in a husband! But not wealthy.. and he had no aspirations in the medical field or anything of equal propriety. You forbid me from seeing anybody of his social standing, you enforced classism upon me! Upon the man that I loved. And he's far more forgiving than I could ever be, when he speaks of you both he has nothing but love in his heart, and for Richie. How could you be so blind?"

Adam Sambora had never been speechless before that moment. He sat in utter bewilderment in his leather chair, wondering how on earth his young daughter had managed to chastise him so masterfully. He could not have begun to speak.

"I had no idea, Amelia," Joan whispered, "You could have told me, I would have understood."

"No, no you wouldn't," Amelia cried. "I tried to tell you! You only kept me locked away. When I mentioned a boy of his background you took my phone privileges away, you even took my door off its hinges! It was right after school, I was already eighteen and I spent two months under strict supervision. Jon was heartbroken, he thought I'd completely dumped him! Until I showed up to his house one morning and explained the archaic situation in which I was living."