9. Failed proposals

Start from the beginning

" Maharaj Dhritarashtr! A marriage proposal has come."

" Marriage proposal? From Vajji? Oh. Yes, they have a daughter and a son. Is it for my putr? Is it for Suyodhan? " He asked, looking for any light in the darkness that surrounded him.

" Nahi Maharaj. It is a marriage proposal for Kumari Karunika. They have proposed the marriage of their Yuvraj Adam with our Raajkumari. What answer should be sent Maharaj? That their proposed is dead! " He asked.

" Nahi. That will lead to a dishonour on our vansh. " 

" But Maharaj. We must tell them the truth. After all the death of the princess of Kururashtr will not remain hidden for long. "

" Alright. Inform the King and Queen of Vajji,  that the woman they wished to make their son's bride has died in the fires of Varnavart. "

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

" Mata, we have reached the end of the tunnel. We will exit it, and enter the forests. After moving out, we'll see in which region we are. "  Vasuni told her.

The Kauntey and kaunteyi, tired from the rigorous movement in the tunnel finally saw the sun after three weeks in the tunnel. All of them were exhausted and bruised, but their spirits were alive.

" Mata, Jyeshtha, go sit by the tree,  we'll get some  water,food, firewood, and prepare for shelter." Dharmjeet told them.

" Nahi. I'm coming with you. " Dayanidhi told them, rasping with each breath.

"You'll stay right here Kumari. "

" Nahi Jyeshth. I am coming with you and that is final. "

"  Fine. Meanwhile, Mata, we'll all change our clothes. We can't look like princes and princesses anymore.  We'll borrow the clothes of rishi and muni from any nearby villages that we can see. " Dharmjeet told them.

The scene was so heartbreaking. Priyamvada couldn't imagine the pain her children had to suffer.  Vasuni, Dharmjeet and Gopal were injured, with blood dripping from their knees and fingers as they prepared weapons for everyone.
Rujut and Dayanidhi looked so tired, it felt as if they would drop the fruits in their hands the second they touched the ground.
Bal and Ashwanath were busy starting a fire to warm the surroundings. They were all so brave. Her children. What had they ever done to deserve such a sorrowful fate. Her eldest, both of marriageable age, should live with their spouses, and enjoy the beauties of married life, but they had to endure this one. Hey Narayan. Protect them all.

" Mata. We have brought food. Please serve it to us. " Rujut told her.

" Hmm. "

Equally distributing the food, she was struck yet again with the state of her children's lives. The ones who should have 56 bhog, raj dishes and warm food, we're eating fruits and leaves to survive.

" Mata. Did you know. When we first reached Hastinapur, pitamah told us to eat our food without bending our hands. " Ashwanath told her . Her children, noticing her distress decided to encourage her to enjoy life, and not to lose her courage.

" Without bending hands?"

" Ji Mata. Do you think you can help us? " Gopal said.

She thought long and deep. Suddenly, seven hands were in front of her. The two eldest following their anuj's lead.

" What is this? "

"Mata. What is the need to bend our hands, if we are all together." Dharmjeet said.

" Yes Mata. We told you before too . Us brothers and sisters are like the seven days of the week. Each equally important and not one less enough. " Rujut told her.