LaWanda: The Book of Hope

Start from the beginning

"I kinda got you something," Khalil said as he took out a small black bag from his pocket.

He opened it and pulled out a gold chain with a lions head.

(Pic above)

"I saw it, and it made me think of you," he said as he put it on me.

"So a lion made you think of me? Are you trying to say I'm temperamental?" I teased him.

******************

It was the next day, and I'm running up and down the halls of the school trying to find Jennifer's crazy ass before someone could notify dad that she's skipping class. I went to our usual places like the gym, the music room, and the auditorium but didn't find her in any of those places.

I was walking by the workout room when suddenly I was pulled into the room. I turned around and was about to punch whoever pulled me in here but stopped when I saw it was Khalil, a very shirtless and sweaty Khalil.

"Boy! I bout whooped yo ass," I said as I straightened my school uniform and got out of my head.

"Cute, but come get your sister," Khalil said, pointing over to Jen, who was slumped over on a bench.

"Is she seriously drunk right now?" I said, slightly disappointed in her, but I know she was still going through the process from being kidnapped.

"I think she's slightly buzzed," he said.

"Alright, can you go to my locker? There's some aspirin and some water bottles in there," I said.

Khalil nodded and left to get the items while I stayed and watched over Jen.

"Come on twin, this ain't like you," I said as I sat beside her, and she put her head on my shoulder.

"I just needed a break from all the stares and everything," Jennifer sighed.

"I get that, and I might not know what you're going through, but you still could've come to me and we could've done something better than getting drunk...at school...where our father is the principal," I said.

After a few minutes, Khalil came back with the items, and I gave them to Jen to try to sober her up fast. Once she was, we went on with the rest of our day, and when we got home, we had a movie night just for us twins.

********************************

Lawanda: The Book of Burial

We were in church for the funeral of Lawanda. She was one of dad's old students back from his time of being a teacher at Garfield High. Apparently, she was killed by another former student turned drug dealer named LaLa when she was trying to get her daughter from the same hotel that Black Lightning said Jen and Anissa from.

Once it was over, we returned home and changed clothes. I decided to go out onto the roof and wait for Khalil. When he got here, we started talking about our plans.

"And then we can check into the hotel at 2:00," he said while I nodded with a smile. "Yo, did you tell your parents where you were going?"

"I haven't yet, but I will," I said. "You have condoms, right?"

"Yeah," he said, chuckling.

"You good?" I asked him as I looked at his face.

"I'm good. Uh, it's just..." Khalil trailed off.

"Just what?" I asked him. "Have you changed your mind?"

"What? No. No. No, no, no, no. I, uh..." Khalil said nervously. "I lied Le."