~ Chapter 6: The Sun slowly sets, Gwen Stacy ~

~ 2:32PM, a week later ~

" ...Time's flying fast! I mean, we just took an exam a few days ago and now we're up to finals by the next 2 weeks? Then we'll be graduating. " Gwen spoke, her surprise evident after emerging from her deep focus into her studies.

" Come on, it won't be that bad. At least we'll get some time after all. Didn't you say you're also taking an internship at Oscorp? " Harry inquired, prompting Gwen to acknowledge the fact.

" Looking forward to it. " Harry smirked, a chuckle escaping him as he nudged her gently. This elicited a sigh of both annoyance and satisfaction from Gwen, who couldn't help but smile a little. Suddenly, Harry swerved the group to change lanes, catching sight of Flash Thompson in the midst of an emotional outburst.

" What's going on with him..? " Peter inquired, worried for him.

" Well, I.. had a talk with MJ the other day, and she... well, dumped him after shoving a 2nd grader into a locker room and made his life a living hell. Poor guy, I hope he's doing well now.. " Gwen informed them, evoking a surprised reaction from Harry and Peter.

" Either way, a lot of boys might be chasing her by now. Please, don't try it. She's our honorary member, our study partner, and Peter's neighbor. Let's be decent. " She sighed, adjusting her glasses.

" Oh, about the studying later at Pete's-- I won't be able to make it today. My dad wants me to teach some ropes around Oscorp, I want to be at his side for now. He doesn't seem to be feeling well, and he might need help when the time comes. " Harry addressed them both, and Peter and Gwen nodded in understanding.

" It's alright Harry, we'll get this through. If you need any help from us you know we won't hesitate. " Peter smiled at him, being his best friend after all as they've been at each other since then.

Gwen also observed something unusual: MJ hadn't made an appearance that day. This sparked concern in Gwen's mind, recalling the glimpses of MJ's struggles at home that she had witnessed during their bonding sessions at school. She also noticed a significant reduction in MJ's circle of friends, and her unusual change of attending parties heading to a new all-time low, leaving her a bit puzzled by the sudden change.

As the school day concluded, Harry bid farewell to them at the subway station, heading home with his father. During the journey back to Queens, Peter and Gwen engaged in various discussions, but a particular topic randomly crossed their minds.

" ...I've heard there was a group of criminals on the loose at Queens. They had a victim yesterday... " One of the passengers on the subway could be overheard gossiping with a companion.

" That's quite dangerous. Peter, I hope you're not going out at night. Also tell you Aunt and Uncle about it, I worry you know. I just hope Dad can catch these perps. " Gwen expressed her worry to Peter and his fellows, noting the potential danger posed by this 'group' that might prey on unsuspecting individuals and pose threats to their safety.

" Hey, don't worry about it. We'll be careful, extra. " Peter chuckled softly, maintaining his usual awkward yet endearing demeanor as Gwen found it rather cute. Gwen playfully nudged him before they reached their stop.

~ 6:32PM ~

" ...Well, that takes care of it. Exercise is complete, wires are prepped and ready to be installed by tomorrow. " Ben completed his tasks, affectionately kissing May on the cheek.

" Why thank you Ben,  you'll be able to light up this house once again. Although I am still offended you agreed with Peter by the taste of my meatloaf. " She teased him, causing a hint of nervousness to flicker across Ben's face, prompting Peter to suppress a chuckle from his seat opposite Gwen.

Preparing for another study session, Peter and Gwen awaited MJ's arrival as she had mentioned the previous day that she would be able to join. Provided the fact of Peter and MJ's proximity, being neighbors, would make the transit easy and quick.

As they waited, Peter and Gwen engaged in a conversation that seemed to flow endlessly. Their discussion spanned various topics, from their studies to scientific interests, captivating Ben's attention by the nature of their relationship. He observed them with a sense of pride, as if they were the epitome of perfect partners in conversation and a probable candidate for a partner in life.

While they engaged in lively conversation, their exchange was interrupted by faint screams emanating from MJ's house. Gwen's concern for MJ's well-being surged, hoping that her father hadn't resorted to violence. Peter stood up and made his way to the front door, with Gwen following closely behind, equally worried about MJ's safety.

Instead, what greeted Gwen was Mary Jane standing in the middle of the road, her tears flowing uncontrollably as she struggled to contain her emotions. Gayle, her sister, followed, attempting to restrain her from acting impulsively.

" ...GO ON THEN! DO YOU WHAT THE HELL YOU WANT DON'T COME CRYING IF YOU END UP LIKE YOUR WHORE OF A MOTHER! " The sound of their father's voice pierced the air, his drunken shouts reverberating as he stormed back into the house.

" SHE'S IN A COMA RIGHT NOW AND THAT'S WHAT YOU CAN SAY ABOUT HER?! SOME HUSBAND AND FATHER YOU ARE! " Mary Jane retaliated, her own screams echoing in response before she turned away, consumed by emotional turmoil.

" I'm going to find those assholes, I'm going to FIND THEM, and make them PAY! " Despite Gayle's efforts to hold onto her, Mary Jane broke free and stormed off, leaving Peter unable to react quickly enough to intervene.

Gayle was in tears as well, " Please MJ..! Don't do this...! " Witnessing the scene unfold, Gayle herself was in tears, her attempts to communicate with Mary Jane falling on deaf ears. Peter stood frozen in place, sensing the urgency of the situation, he wasted no time in chasing after her.

" Peter..! " Observing the turmoil from a distance, Ben recognized the need to intervene and swiftly followed after them, determined to prevent any further escalation of trouble that could happen, and provide support to Mary Jane.

In the midst of the chaos, May rushed to comfort Gayle, offering her solace and a safe haven inside their home. Unbeknownst to May, Gwen made a split-second decision to join the chase, determined not to let them go alone as she tried to catch up...