~ Chapter 4: A New Strand of the Web, MJ Watson ~

~ 3:02PM, a day after her job interview. Midtown High ~

MJ swiftly departed the classroom as soon as the class concluded, disregarding her boyfriend Flash Thompson's attempts to reach her. Throughout the entire school period, she felt an unusual sensation, hearing everyone's voice as if they're seatet next to her. Seeking to refresh herself, she made her way to the bathroom, where she found herself alone, gazing at her reflection in the mirror.

" What the hell is going on... " Releasing a heavy sigh, MJ's demeanor grew tense and anxious as she paused to reflect on the events of yesterday and today. Despite receiving compliments from others who noticed a change in her physique, she was relieved that it wasn't overly conspicuous due to her already well-known reputation for beauty. The thought of others discovering that her transformation was a result of a spider bite seemed oddly unsettling.

As she prepared to wash her face, MJ gripped the faucet handle tightly, only for it to unexpectedly detach, causing water to gush uncontrollably around the bathroom.

" Shit..! " Panic engulfed MJ as she desperately attempted to shut off the water, but the faucet handle remained lodged in her hand. In her frantic state, she inadvertently struck the faucet, causing it to crack. Her mind raced, evident from her expressions reflecting a growing sense of hysteria.

In her frantic efforts to stem the torrent of water, she was startled by a sudden THWIP! sound, followed by the sight of a webbing shooting out and latching onto a trash bin in the bathroom. Shocked, she was on the verge of screaming when she realized the webbing originated from her wrist. With a mixture of apprehension and disbelief, she removed it, feeling unsettled by the inexplicable occurrence just as footsteps heralded the arrival of other students in the bathroom.

Breathing heavily and feeling on edge, she muttered a curse under her breath before swiftly exiting the bathroom, her aura radiating heightened tension. As she made her way through the school corridors, she caught snatches of conversation among students, including one with a familiar voice that seemed to be following her. Determined to find solace, she hurried outside, leaving the school grounds in search of a quiet place to gather her thoughts and process the unsettling events that had just unfolded in the bathroom.

~ 3:36PM ~

She navigated her way to a secluded alley, grateful for its emptiness and the absence of any lurking threats. Leaning against the sturdy brick wall, she couldn't shake off the unease that gripped her. Her gaze drifted to her wrist, where she noticed a faint white mark resembling a webbing, prompting her to inspect the bite on her forearm.

A sudden realization dawned on her: could the bite have bestowed upon her extraordinary abilities? She chuckled in disbelief, only to spot a spider dangling from a thread on the ceiling. Initially intending to leave, she paused, struck by the thought that if her newfound powers were indeed real, she needed to test them. With a swift shift in expression from confusion to curiosity, and finally to determination, she resolved to explore whether she could scale walls like the arachnid that hung above her.

" This better be something... " She sighed, steeling herself before pressing her hand against the rough surface of the brick wall. Tentatively, she began to climb, adopting a method more akin to crawling than scaling. Lost in the moment, she paid little attention to whether she was slipping or maintaining her grip.

It wasn't until she dared to glance downward that a startled yelp escaped her lips. Shock painted her features as she realized she was now a staggering 11 feet above the ground, clinging to the wall with a newfound strength reminiscent of a spider. A rush of disbelief gave way to an overwhelming sense of elation as she embraced the realization of her newfound abilities. Her smile widened, a radiant expression of pure joy, before she swiftly ascended to the rooftop, guided by her heightened senses.