•The story•

XII

XII. The story.

After my last shift at the hiking store for the week, I drove around town. My mother had the day shift so she wouldn't be home until late. I had at least two or three hours before I had to go to Angela's to help her with her announcements.

I was very deliberate with my thoughts and decisions as a plan formed in my head. I knew once my decision was made I only had so much time to escape Alice. At first I decided to drive down to the diner for something to eat. I knew that would be an innocent enough decision.

But once I turned onto the street of the diner, I kept driving. The diner was close to the line that crossed onto La Push and I knew once I was over that line, Alice couldn't come after me. I kept driving, nervously looking around me.

They were all going to be so incredibly pissed with me. But I was okay with that for the moment. Luckily I'd only have to deal with Edward Sunday. Once I crossed the treaty line I let out a sigh of relief.

I drove down to the familiar red house. Jacob was standing out by his garage, dusting off what looked to be a car part. A confused look crossed his face when he saw my truck. I pulled up in front of him and smiled softly as I climbed out of my truck. "Jake." I greeted wearily, unsure if he even wanted to see me.

"Ana?" He called out in disbelief as he approached me, a small smile growing on his face. "How did you get here?" He asked as he quirked an eyebrow at me, his head ever so slightly tilting to the side.

"Everyone's hunting so I snuck away." I replied as I shrugged my shoulders, wrapping my arms around myself as I gave him a small smile. I hated going against Edward, and I knew this was going to cause an argument for us, but it felt so good to see my friend again. I wasn't even aware just how much I missed Jacob.

A big grin spread onto Jacob's lips as he approached me, wrapping his arms around me as he pulled me in for a brief hug. "There's my rebel." he mused as he pulled away, reaching out to ruffle my hair.

I chuckled softly, pushing his hand away. There was rustling in the woods behind us and group of familiar boys, and one girl, came over towards us. It was Embry, Quil, Jared, Paul and surprisingly, Leah as well.

"Look who's back." Embry called out as he held his arms spread wide open by his sides. He ran towards me, wrapping his arms around me as he pulled me into a hug.

Embry was pushed away from me and Quil wrapped one arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side. "Whatup, Ana?" He greeted, reaching out to finish what Jacob started with my hair but I slapped his hand away.

"Quil." I greeted with a smile as I pulled away from the younger boy, reaching out to ruffle his hair and he grumbled as he fixed his curls. "I'm glad you're here, Ana. Maybe we can get a break from Jake's obsessive inner monologue." he informed me as he shot a side-eyed look in Jacob's direction.

Paul scoffed in amusement as he nodded his head and rolled his eyes. "I wish Ana would call." He mocked as he stared up at the sky and my eyebrows furrowed as I glanced over at Jacob. I did call.

"I wish Ana wouldn't call." Jared added with a soft chuckle as he looked over at Jacob, who was now silently staring down at the ground with his lips pulled into a tight line.