18 Lord

"This is where you lived? It's so beautiful," said Sanja to Damian as they approached the landing stage.

She wrapped her arms around him. With everything she had in her, she tried to embrace the new situation. Not that she could go back, even if she wanted to. It was what it was.

Her eyes wandered over the mountains that could be seen in the distance and over the lush, dark green forest. And then she saw many small houses. She heard unfamiliar bird voices singing above them. It was almost peaceful. And somehow it gave her a little sense of calm. But that was mainly down to Damian. She wondered what it must feel like for him.

"It is. I'd forgotten how nice it was, to be honest," Damian replied as he took her in his arms and gave her a quick hug.

But then it was time to anchor. The sea was calm so it wasn't too difficult a task. Just as they were tying up the ship with ropes, the first people arrived. Their looks showed nothing but disbelief when they saw Damian.

"Lord Priest? Is it really you?" they asked.

Sanja was confused. Why were they addressing him like that? She knew that Priest was his family name. But... But what was Lord supposed to mean?

"Damian? What does that mean?" she asked.

"It's just a silly title. It has no relevance to me. And I hope it doesn't change your view of me." he replied quickly.

"Yes, it's me. No need to get worked up." he called out to the men before helping Garro get the goats off the board.

"Okay... What now?" asked Paya. 

She sounded very nervous and played with her fingers. It was only too natural. After all, it was a big unknown for her too.

"We're making our way to my home. It's only three miles. And I think we all could use the physical action. But I know that's not what you meant. You and Garro can stay with us as long as you want. You can all get used to the new situation and then we'll see. There's no need to rush. I'll make sure you're well looked after," Damian replied as they slowly set off.

None of them failed to notice that a small boy who had come to the landing stage with the men ran off excitedly. He probably wanted to let everyone know that the Lord they had thought dead had returned.

"Well it seems we have a lot of things to learn. Probably everything here will be very different from our familiar life," Garro said melancholically.

Damian reached for Sanja's free hand as they walked on. But he knew exactly how much her head was spinning. So many new impressions were hitting her. She had been on a few travels before. But everything was limited to getting everything they needed and not getting used to so many new things. This time, however, there was no going back.

And she also had many, many questions for Damian. However, these were conversations that could wait until they were alone. That was something they both longed for. Time alone to process everything.

They took their time on the path. They all enjoyed having solid ground under their feet again. This was especially true for the goats. They were practically devouring the fresh grass. Damian patiently explained everything they saw to the three of them. The details that made this place more beautiful in his mind, even if he had forgotten them for a while.

"We're almost there," he announced after almost an hour.

The journey would never have taken so long under normal circumstances, of course. But he didn't want to rush anyone. Especially not now.

"So it's true! You're alive!" a female voice called out as she came running towards Damian.

The house wasn't even visible yet. Apparently she couldn't wait a second longer after the news had reached her.

She jumped into his arms and hugged him tightly without paying attention to the other people at his side. Damian returned her hug, but only with one arm, because he didn't let go of Sanja's hand for a second.

"As you can see... I only have this beautiful woman at my side to thank for that. Sanja, this is Rhea. My best friend and right-hand woman. Rhea, this is Sanja, Paya and Garro. They are all part of the family now. Be a dear and prepare a room for Paya and Garro. Oh, and a stable for the goats.

I know you have questions. But we've had a long journey and need some rest. You'll have to be patient," he said before she could ask any questions.

Sanja, who was a little taken aback, looked back and forth between the two of them. And she couldn't help but feel a little insecure.

"It's nice to meet you. I am Rhea. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything. I'm glad you're okay." replied the woman called Rhea and with that she was gone again.

With quick steps, she disappeared between the trees.

"No reason to worry." Damian breathed to Sanja and squeezed her hand as he looked at her.

"Are you sure?" she wanted to know.

"Not a single one. Well then... Welcome home." he said as they walked on.

But suddenly he stopped and lifted her hand to his mouth to press a kiss on it.

Now they were all speechless. A huge manor building appeared in front of them, flanked on the left and right by other large buildings. The country manor was larger than anything Sanja had ever seen. She was sure that her cottage had fit in there more than 100 times. And that didn't even include the adjoining buildings.

"Holy heaven... It seems there's a lot you haven't told us, Damian. You're obviously a noble lord of the manor with vast estates. No wonder you're such a good hunter if you manage your forests," Garro said, not knowing whether to be impressed or skeptical.

"I think your friend is not the only one who has many questions, Lord." added Sanja in a soft, intimidated voice.

"Don't be alarmed, my love. None of this matters to me. But you do. I've now found someone to share it with." He replied as he stood in front of her.

He blocked her gaze from the three-sided courtyard so that she only looked at him. Their eyes met and she immediately relaxed. At least a little. His worried look showed her that he really meant what he said.

"It's just a lot." she whispered as tears welled up in her eyes.

Damian immediately gave her a kiss on the forehead. A lingering one.

"You love me, don't you?" he then asked.

"I love you." she replied.

"And I love you. Nothing else matters as long as we walk this path together." he said.