FORELSKET

Forelsket(n.) The euphoria you experience when you are first falling in love.

"I was carving my name into your side and you were calling me soft, calling me gentle. I do not think you were paying attention." - Trista Mateer

---------------------------------------------------

Calida had never been fond of birthdays, and each passing year seemed to add to the weight of expectations pressing down on her.

The thought of what lay ahead filled her with apprehension, as she knew she couldn't keep avoiding the inevitable.

Soon, Calida would face choices she wasn't prepared to make. Yet, the reality remained that they would be made for her if she didn't make them herself.

Tonight, she had plans to go out with some friends from her class, but other than that, her day held no concrete plans.

Her father was away on business, her brother was buried in his studies, and spending time alone with her mother wasn't appealing.

However, the prospect of a night out in the city was enticing. It had been far too long since she had indulged in the freedom of getting tipsy and dancing without a care in the world.

She sat alone in the kitchen, surrounded by the colourful flowers and cards that had arrived earlier that morning.

She felt disappointed as she noticed Coryo had not sent her anything.

Maybe he wasn't aware it was her birthday, or perhaps he knew but didn't feel obliged to send her anything.

After all, it wasn't a requirement, and she shouldn't have expected it from him.

Lost in thought, she found herself gazing at the vibrant assortment of flowers when the intercom suddenly rang, pulling her back to the present moment.

She made her way over to answer it."Hello?"
"It's me, Flower." Coriolanus's voice resonated through the speaker, and Calida couldn't help but feel a surge of joy hearing his familiar tone.

"Oh, hey," she replied, trying to mask the excitement in her voice.

"I'm here to give you your present, but to do so, close your eyes until I come up and say you can open them," he instructed.

"Alright, sure," she agreed, pressing the button to let him in and closing her eyes obediently.

The anticipation tingled in her veins as she waited, her heart dancing excitedly. The soft chime of the elevator alerted her to his arrival, and she listened intently as he approached.

"You may open your eyes," his voice prompted, and she complied eagerly.

Her eyes fluttered open, and they met his handsome gaze before drifting to the unexpected sight before her—a decent-sized cage housing a magnificent bird, a raven.

Her breath caught in her throat, and she looked at him in astonishment. "It's... It's a raven," she stammered, unable to fully grasp the gift's reality.

"Yes, a raven," he confirmed with a nonchalant nod.

"You got me a raven?" Calida exclaimed incredulously, her smile widening.

"Yes," Coriolanus replied, his demeanour casual as if it were just another everyday occurrence. "You mentioned you've always wanted one."

"But that was months ago, Coryo. How did you remember?" she marvelled, her eyes shining with wonder.

"I remember everything when it comes to you," he said simply, the sweetness of his words tinged with a hint of understated affection.

"This is probably the most thoughtful gift anyone has ever given me," she confessed, her fingers delicately tracing the cage's bars.