QUATERVOIS

Quatervoice (n.) a crossroads; a critical decision or turning point in one's life.

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus
----------------------------------------------------------

The August sun cast an enchanting glow on the day as Brit and Calida occupied a spot outside the academy library, engrossed in drafting their university applications and selecting their preferred subjects.

Their grades could have been better, demanding a strategic approach to make their applications shine.

Still, deep down, they knew their acceptance was secured, thanks to their families' ability to cover the steep tuition.

Amid their academic endeavour, Darius bounded over, clutching a box brimming with doughnuts.

«I brought doughnuts for the hardworking ladies over here," Darius declared, taking a seat and presenting the box.

«Um, are they gluten-free?" Brit queried.

«They're doughnuts. Either you're in, or you're out," Darius retorted with an eye roll, grabbing one.

Sitting next to Calida, he eyed her application, sighed, and promptly took it from her.

«With this application, you'd be shipped off to District 12 to cook for the peacekeepers," he remarked, tearing the papers.

He grabbed some paper and began writing for Calida.

«Thanks, Darius, but I should be able to write it myself," Calida insisted.

«Oh, I know you can write it, alright. I'm just going to help you make it more lucrative for yourself," Darius explained. Calida sighed, allowing Darius to take the reins.

«Typical," Brit scoffed, rolling her eyes. Calida didn't entirely blame her; Darius always assisted Calida without being prompted, while Brit had to badger him for help.

As they toiled away, a university staff member approached.

«Dr. Gaul wishes to see Miss Bellerose at her lab immediately," he stated before walking away.

Panic flashed across Calida's face as she glanced at Darius and Brit.

Why would Dr. Gaul want to speak with her?

Calida suspected the reason, making her anxiety rise.

"You look nervous," Brit observed.

"I'm not nervous. I'm scared. I don't know how to talk to crazy people unless I'm dating them," Calida confessed.

"Dr. Gaul is not crazy," Darius insisted with an eye roll, earning him an incredulous look from Calida.

Dismissing them, she made her way to Dr. Gaul's lab, feeling a mix of terror and anxiety.

Dr Gaul's intensity sent shivers down Calida's spine; those eyes belonged to someone undeniably unhinged.

Calida hesitated outside the imposing doors of Dr. Gaul's expansive laboratory.

Should she knock or just enter?

The assistant had conveyed Dr. Gaul's urgent summons, so Calida decided to open the door and step inside.

As she entered the vast laboratory, her eyes roamed over shelves adorned with creatures in small tanks.

Moving toward what appeared to be her designated desk, Calida abruptly halted.

A glass jar on the desk contained the spider she had created.

Dr. Gaul's unexpected presence by her side nearly caused Calida to jump in surprise.