Chapter 9 - Hymax

Começar do início

However, the introduction of tanks changed this dynamic. When they first learned about the Japanese Type 10 tank, she was surprised but did not take it seriously as a threat. However, upon discovering that Gra Valkas also possessed tanks, she could no longer remain indifferent. The Mirishial Army, upon realizing that Gra Valkas' mainstay tank, the "Hound," closely resembled the old Japanese Army's Type 97 Chi-Ha medium tank, requested data on the Chi-Ha from Japan and conducted simulations. The result was that Mirishial's Maxta could not defeat Gra Valkas' Hound. The critical issues were the height of the vehicle and the thin front armor; the Maxta would almost certainly be at a disadvantage, easily taken out with the first shot. For the Mirishial Army, which had been studying the Gra Valkas Empire as an enemy since the First Battle of the Folk Strait, this became a major headache.

To address this, Corcana decided to pitch the Hymax as an anti-tank weapon to the Army. Unlike self-propelled guns, the tank's guns cannot be elevated to a high angle. Moreover, the top armor is thinner than the front. The flying Hymax could avoid being shot by the Hound and destroy it without opposition.

However, the weaknesses of height and armor remained. So, Corcana cited a certain Japanese anime movie and a certain video game. After showcasing the movie and game to the Army officials, she said: "As you can see, Japan is also considering weapons with the same concept as the Hymax! If our country can put it into practical use before Japan, it will enhance our country's prestige and national interests!"

It was a ridiculous argument, but bureaucrats and military personnel who had previously underestimated Japan as a peripheral country fell for it.

Thus, Corcana's research received funding not only from the academy but also from the Army, and she was allowed to accompany the 4th Magic Fleet.

However, the Mirishial Army did not rely solely on Corcana's Hymax. The Army also took the initiative in developing a tank using the Elpacio 3''s engine. The development was entrusted to the Runesweaves Magic Academy, the developer of Maxta and the one with a close relationship with the Army. Runesweaves, feeling that their territory had been encroached upon by Runesvaletta's Magic Trooper development, worked on tank development with the academy's honor at stake. However, they wouldn't be able to meet the departure of the 4th Magic Fleet in time. To overcome this, the Mirishial Army bent its own policy and imported 84 mm recoilless guns from Japan as an anti-tank weapon. This change in policy faced opposition from within and outside the Army, but the success of the operation and the lives of the soldiers were paramount.

Thus, an ad-hoc formation of the 501st Anti-Tank Platoon equipped with Hymaxes and 84 mm recoilless guns landed on Irnetia Island.

After securing the beachhead, the Mirishial Army deployed recon teams towards the inland where the main base was located. Although a military road connected the beachhead to the main base at Doiva, as soon as the Mirishial forces took control of the positions, the Gra Valkans promptly sealed the road by constructing formidable barricades. Their efficiency suggested that they had prepared for this in advance. Furthermore, there were Hounds patrolling the area around the base.

Upon hearing the report from the returning reconnaissance team, Douglas decided to assess the unknown combat capabilities of the new force.

. . .

"Order the 501st Anti-Tank Platoon to probe the enemy."

Upon receiving the commander's order, Lieutenant Hanry, who led the platoon understood Douglas' intention.

"The enemy is using Hounds for patrols around the base. Capture one of them."

Choosing his words carefully, Hanry asked a question.