𝟎𝟑 ・𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬

𝟎𝟑 · 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬

𝟎𝟑 · 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬

»»————-  ————-««

-THE WINTER WAS HARSH and seemed never-ending. The trio had created a cozy little haven inside the retailer store. It wasn't much, but over the weeks, it became their home. Sometimes, Mathias and Lexie ventured out on runs, primarily to scavenge for food but also to seek distractions like books or board games to pass the time. They were grateful to be alive, yet it would be dishonest to claim that their lives weren't monotonous. Nevertheless, they preferred monotony over death any day. Victoire didn't venture out much; she was overly protected by Mathias, despite Lexie's insistence that he stop. Lexie knew there might come a day when they wouldn't be there to shield her, and she needed to learn to fend for herself. Each time, Mathias responded with the same promise: "I'll teach her come spring." And Lexie always countered with: "We can't guarantee we'll be alive by then, idiot." Aside from these discussions, their life was relatively peaceful: wake up, eat, find a distraction, eat, sleep, repeat

"You should keep it long. Why are you obsessed with shaving your head?" Victoire pouted as she looked at Mathias shaving his hair, which he had judged to be too long. It was a quiet evening; Lexie and Mathias had returned with a single rabbit, a better catch than most days. After dinner, Mathias decided it was time to cut his hair, much to the girl's despair. It had grown longer over the weeks, and the girls were surprised to discover that he had curly hair. And now he was shaving it off, beautiful hair gone in just a few minutes.

"After years in the military, you're not gonna make me change my habits by looking at me with those cute eyes," Mathias winked, causing the girl to blush. "It's better this way anyway; the enemy can't grab my hair, you know?"

From her tent, Lexie looked at the duo amused. You had to be blind to think Mathias was ugly, but the way Victoire spent her days ogling at him, you also had to be blind as a bat not to see she had a little crush. It was childish, really, but Lexie had come to care for these folks, so she was intrigued to see where their little banters would lead them.

"Being a Lieutenant didn't give you the privilege of keeping your hair?" That was Victoire. Always curious, always asking questions. Mathias always answered; he found the habit quite comforting, as if it were just a normal conversation. Lexie, on the contrary, was selective about the questions she responded to, preferring not to divulge too much.

"It did. But like I said, I like it better this way. Makes me look rougher, worked nicely on the little ladies back home," he smirked, knowing his answer would embarrass the girl. "Doesn't seem to work on you though." With another wink, he turned back to the mirror, finishing his shave. The poor girl blushed deeply and shot a glare at Lexie upon hearing her giggle.

This moment of innocence was interrupted by a rustle, close to the front door. It wasn't uncommon to hear noises from outside; nature and animals were thriving, but this was different. It almost seemed like something, or someone, was trying to open the door. Mathias was immediately on his feet, knife in hand. Biters weren't clever enough to figure out doors; that person behind the door was alive. He glanced at the girls, silently gesturing for them to move behind him and remain quiet.