𝟎𝟏・𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐭

𝟎𝟏・𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐭

»»————-  ————-««

- IT HAD BEEN ONE HELL OF A NIGHT. Lexie was exhausted; they had been running for hours, putting as much distance as they could between themselves and the recently overrun military base. Victoire had been crying non-stop; it was nerve-wracking, but Mathias didn't say anything. Every time Lexie sighed, she received a dirty look. Everybody was on edge, high on adrenaline and fear, and that's how they had run for so long.

Hours before the chaos they found themselves in, the trio—though not truly a trio at that time—was safe and sound at the Atlanta Military Base, the AMB. It was surrounded by protective walls and situated far enough from the city that encounters with the biters were not as common. Life there wasn't so bad. Lexie spent her time in the infirmary, learning medical procedures. Victoire had her students, whom she taught every day, along with other children present in the camp. Mathias oversaw every run outside of the walls, interviewed newcomers, and prepared expeditions. It was not the best life possible, but it was a calm one, as calm as living through the end of the world could be. Before everything fell apart, they had never interacted; Mathias was the only link between the two women.

»»————-  ————-««

Lexie and Mathias crossed paths through a traumatic event. Lexie had been attempting to locate a camp in the hills of Atlanta, having heard that survivors had established themselves there, and she hoped they would take her in. Her journey led her into the woods, where she encountered three men. The moment she laid eyes on them, she sensed trouble, unfortunately, they noticed her as well. Instinctively, she ran, sprinting as fast as she could toward the road. However, they proved faster and stronger. Before anything more dramatic could unfold, her screams reached the ears of Lieutenant Mathias Nichols. He investigated the commotion and stumbled upon a woman, screaming on the forest floor, while three men were cutting through her clothes. The men were so engrossed in their actions that they hadn't noticed his presence, even though Mathias had made no effort to be sneaky.

''Need some help, gentlemen?'' was how Mathias made his presence known. It was evident to him that these men were not well-prepared for the challenges of this world, armed with only two knives and likely unsure how to use them. ''I'd really appreciate it if you would step away from the lady here; she doesn't seem to be particularly receptive to your... charms.''

''Get lost, GI Joe! We saw her first! You can have your chance once we're done!'' said one of the goons. It was true that Mathias wasn't particularly threatening in this situation; he hadn't taken his gun, as he had expected a fight against the undead. However, even in hand-to-hand combat, the man was lethal. Those rednecks were being foolish. ''Well, if there's even anything left after !'' The man added with a laugh.

On the floor, Lexi was terrified. What if the soldier listened to them? What if he was just like them? What if? It was all she could think about. Tears rolled down her cheeks; her shirt was destroyed, and she could feel the men's hands everywhere on her body. She felt disgusted. Is this what the world was going to be? If so, she'd rather die quickly.