"Mom!" 

Sally was not deterred. "Your ambrosia and nectar, Percy? And a golden drachma in case you need to contact camp?"

"Mom, seriously! We'll be fine. Come on, guys."

She looked a little hurt, and Aria felt the sudden urge to just embrace the older woman and assure her it was going to be okay. She didn't. However, she did say. "Jackson doesn't mean to be rude. I think he just feels that people will take him less seriously if they see his mother driving him around. He doesn't really mean it." 

Sally turned around to face her, fixing up her jacket with tender hands. "Percy is lucky to have you," she said, smiling at the younger girl, who was now the only one in the car.

"I'll take care of him," Aria assured. "I promise."

Sally patted her jacket two times as a sign she was ready. "I know you will."

And with that, Aria exited the car, the group giving her quizzical looks as to why she was in the vehicle for so long. She ignored them all, shrugging her shoulders. 

Once the car was out of sight, Thalia said. "Your mom is cool, Percy."

"I would die for Sally," Aria added on. 

"She's pretty okay," Percy admitted. "What about you, Thalia? You ever get in touch with your mom?"

Aria felt herself internally sigh. 

Thalia was great at giving evil looks, what with the punk clothes she always wears--the ripped up army jacket, black trousers and chain jewellery, the black eyeliner and those intense blue eyes. But the look she gave Percy now was a perfect evil ten. "If that was any of your business, Percy--"

"We'd better get inside," Annabeth intervened. "Grover will be waiting."

The oak doors groaned open, and the four of them stepped into the entry hall in a swirl of snow. 

"Holy shi-"

The place was massive. The walls were lined with battle flags and weapon displays: antique rifles, battle-axes, and a bunch of other stuff. Aria knew Westover was a military school and all, but the decorations seemed like overkill. Literally. 

Annabeth started to speak, "I wonder where-"

The doors slammed shut behind them.

"Oo-kay," Percy grumbled. "Guess we'll stay awhile."

She could hear music echoing from the other end of the hall. It sounded like dance music. 

The group stashed their backpacks behind a pillar and started down the hall. They hadn't gone very far when Aria heard footsteps on the stone floor, and a man and woman marched out of the shadows to intercept them.

They both had short grey hair and black military-style uniforms with red trim. The woman had a wispy moustache, and the guy was clean-shaven. They both walked stiffly, like they had broomsticks strapped to their backs.

"Well?" the woman demanded. "What are you doing here?"

"Well.." Percy started. Aria realised they hadn't planned for this. They had been so focused on getting Grover and finding out what was wrong, she hadn't considered that someone might question four kids sneaking into the school at night.