Fallowbriar cringed away, looking ashamed and embarrassed at being scolded at. The blue-gray she-cat looked between the two before speaking.

"Y-Yes, I have kits." The she-cat disappeared under the roots of a tree, carrying one kit out. She did the same with two others kits, setting them somewhere dry.

"Stormpaw, Hazelpaw, each of you grab one kit." Palefang ordered. "Keep them close and under your chin so they don't get wet."

Hazelpaw stepped forward, taking one of the kits. The she-cat watched her closely, jerking forward as though she was about to stop her, but pulled back and grabbed a black-and-white she-kit. Hazelpaw studied the kit she held to the best of her ability. The kit seemed to be a she-kit and looked like the loner in front of her.

Stormpaw grabbed another black-and-white she-kit, taking extra care to protect the kit from the cold rain. Hazelpaw mimicked the older apprentice, ducking her head so the rain only battered the kit's tail and dangling hind legs.

The three kits mewled loudly, protesting against the rain and wind. Thunder boomed in the distance, scaring the kits even more.

"Let's hurry." Palefang dove into the wet forest, not glancing over her shoulder to see if they were following.

Hazelpaw bounded after her, doing her best to keep the kit dry at the same time. It was hard with the uneven ground, and multiple times Hazelpaw's head bobbed up, accidentally soaking the she-kit.

After a wet run, they were at the entrance of camp. Palefang led the way in, Hazelpaw and Stormpaw hard on her heels. The loner was next, then Buzzardtuft and Fallowbriar (who was still embarrassed, but fuming now).

"Nectarstar!" Palefang yowled above the downpour of rain. She raced up a pile of rocks, shooting into a dark, unwelcoming mouth of a small cave.

A gold tom appeared with Palefang behind him. His yellow eyes trailed mindlessly over Hazelpaw and Stormpaw, sharpening with displeasure on the loner. "Who are you and why were you found on ThunderClan territory?" he hissed, walking down the rocks and up to the quaking she-cat.

"I-I am Aqua a-and I was trying to find one of the Clans. You, I guess."

Nectarstar scowled. "You wasted your time. Now get out of my sight-"

A smooth, soft voice interrupted Nectarstar. Honeypool sidled up to Nectarstar's shoulder, gazing kindly at Aqua. "This is no way to treat a mother with kits, Nectarstar."

Hazelpaw could tell Aqua took an instant liking to Honeypool. Everyone did, if she was being honest. Every cat was waiting for Nectarstar to die or retire so Honeypool would lead the Clan. He was patient and understanding, but when need be, he'd be stern.

"Why did you want to find the Clans?" Honeypool's voice warmed Hazelpaw's bones despite the cold rain.

"I want to give my kits to one of the Clans - they still need to be weaned however, but in a moon, they will be able to eat prey. On that note, once they are able to, I will be gone." Aqua meowed, shooting nervous glances at Nectarstar every there and then.

"You can stay here however long you'd like." Honeypool offered.

Aqua shook her head. "I would be a burden on your shoulders. Besides, I like freedom and doing whatever I like. I want my kits to grow up and be able to defend themselves, though, and I have been told this is the place I should go." Her eyes flashed in remorse.

One of the kits mewling broke the moment, sounding as though she was begging to go somewhere dry.

"Well, follow me to the nursery." Honeypool turned around, padding gracefully to the nursery.

Hazelpaw followed, glancing over her shoulder. Nectarstar was left standing there, looking angry about how his brother took over as though he was the leader.

He practically is. A voice sneered in her head. Nobody likes you, Nectarstar.

A little revolted by her thoughts, she hurried into the nursery, dripping wet.

One of the queens, Ravenwhisker, pulled her kits closer. "Don't you dare get my kits wet!"

Honeypool hummed. "We won't, Ravenwhisker."

Noticing Aqua, Ravenwhisker frowned. "Who is she?"

"This is Aqua. She will be staying with us for a moon with her kits." Honeypool explained without looking at the black-and-white queen.

Ravenwhisker widened her eyes. "Nectarstar let a loner and her filthy kits into the Clan?"

Honeypool turned on the queen, tail bristling. Hazelpaw leaned away, knowing Ravenwhisker shattered Honeypool's toleration. She also made sure the kit looked away - not like it would see anything.

"As long as Aqua and her kittens stay here, I do not want to hear a single insult about her from you. Understand?" Honeypool growled.

Ravenwhisker curled tighter around her kits, voice shaking. "I-I understand, Honeypool."

"Good. Now, here is your nest, Aqua."

---

-artemis