𝟢𝟢𝟧,𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐚𝐢𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐫

Start from the beginning

"I know," she says quickly. Almost, she takes Newt's hand, but then decides not to. He looks frustrated and she has no idea how to handle it. "Sorry. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was... complaining."

"It's alright. You're good," he assures, sniffing. "Why all the interest 'bout The Maze, Greenie? Just curious or plannin' something?"

"Just curious. I don't think I want to be a Runner," she says. "I'd be peeing my pants within one step."

Newt nods in satisfaction, then gets back to work.

"How did Gally get stung?" She blurts out, though she doesn't regret asking.

The look on Newt's face does say it's a sensitive subject. "I'm not sure if it's for me to tell you that."

She nods. "Okay." And pulls out another plant to toss into a bucket.

Eventually, Newt can only hold back for three seconds before he spills it. "He saved a Greenie."

He says the words so fast that it takes a while for her to take the information in. "Really?"

"So he's not all evil, if you thought that," he adds.

She nods another time. "And then he got stung. Because The Greenie attempted to go into The Maze. Is that right?"

"That's right."

Gosh. So much information at once. And everything as awful.

Hallucinations? Mostly grumpy? That's what she's been through so far, but the grumpiness, or rather, anger, wasn't hers. Could it be possible the hallucinations aren't, either?

No. She can't be connected to Gally. It's The Creators messing with her.

"You can call me Captain Gally."

"Never in my life." 

Sure, sure, he has trauma, but if he's gonna demand all kind of things that have nothing to do with Building...? Nah-ah.

He narrows his eyes at her. "Listen here. If you want to get through this awful afternoon at least half decently, shucking cooperate."

"I'm not calling you Captain Gally," she spits the words out. "Can we just start?"

"Fine." He walks away in such a fast pace that she has to jog after him again, all the way to the edge of the woods.

"Are you going to murder me now?"

"Unfortunately, things will end up bad for me if I do that," he says, face emotionless but voice full of hatred. "We're need to start building your hut."

"You still haven't started?"

Come on, she gets irritated as long as he acts stupid, and then stupid comments flop out.

"We have." He points at something. "There."

She glares... whatever that is. "What's that supposed to represent? A burned down mini sauna?"

He grunts, tosses wood in her arms so hard that she nearly falls over, and walks to the mini sauna. "You're going to hand me the wood so I can stack it into your cute little hut, yeah?"

"How's that gonna make me build? What're you gonna tell them in The Gathering if all I did was hand you wood?"

He gives her a nasty glare. "Your wrist is bandaged. What do you want to do with that?"

She catches up with his walk again. "It's my left one. I can hammer with my right one. Perhaps slam it against your head."

Then Gally turns around with such force that she takes a step back, but her arm's grabbed and she's forced to look up at him, with a bare amount of space between them. "Hand. Me. The. Wood. And maybe then we'll both survive this awful thing."