1 | The Debate

Vaani

I'm late but I never forget to write my diary.

First day of another year at high school and I'm not really stressed because I've Shraddha.

Now all I need are five minutes to get ready! 

"Honey, I've made your favorite Upma" my mum shouts from the kitchen as I came downstairs "Good Morning, baccha"

I quickly started eating my Upma "Good morning, Mumma".

"Enjoy your first day. Love you, bye"

"Bye, love you too"

How ludicrous is it that on my first day of school, I'm already fascinated by someone? I noticed a boy getting out of a car. He is a standout boy 6'1" with curly black hair. His eyes appear hazel and blue at the same time. Vaani, control yourself, you've got a boyfriend. He gives off the impression that something is bothering him and making him unhappy by the way he walks and looks. Let's concentrate on more vital matters for the time being, like making it to class before I get punishment on the first day.

This semester's English class will be fun because we'll be reading some really intriguing works. Mrs. Arora, who has always been my favorite teacher, is also in it, and Shraddha is along with me too! Though we'll miss Alia. But Shraddha, Alia, and I will be in the maths class together.

"Ok everyone settle down. I'm Divya Arora and will be taking your English class for the year. So, the first book we are going to read this year is 'Looking for Alaska' by John Green. It describes the pain one faces in loving and living." Mrs. Arora began "Has anyone read this book or heard of it and would like to share their opinion about it?"

Only one hand rose, mine. Have I told you yet that I'm in love with books?

"Go ahead Vaani," Mrs. Sparkins says

"I read this book over the summer and thought it was fantastic. Takumi, Alaska, Miles, and Chip are the primary protagonists. When Miles visits Culver Creek in search of a Great Perhaps, he encounters Alaska, a stunning but notorious young girl. Miles irrevocably falls in love with Alaska Young. Alaska believed there was a "straight and fast" way out of the labyrinth of suffering. As far as I'm concerned, there is no way out of the maze of suffering and everyone experiences it. There is no way to escape the labyrinth, we just need to realize that it is normal for everyone to suffer and get used to it."

Someone raised a hand

"I don't completely agree with you, Mrs. Arora may I counter?"

I turned around and saw it was the gloomy boy. I didn't know he was in my class.

"Yes, you may counter" Mrs. Arora replies.

"I do agree that there is no way out of the labyrinth of suffering but realizing the fact and still suffering is not a solution. What I believe is that instead of thinking we are suffering we should think that this is just life and find solutions to each of our problems. Even when we are suffering we should be happy and enjoy life. Whining isn't a solution."

I was about to speak something when suddenly Mrs. Arora spoke up

"Vaani, unfortunately, I'll have to agree with him."

"Actually, I agree with him too. He is right." I say and smile at him

He smiles back

The bell rings

"Ok everyone read the first chapter at home for tomorrow's class." Mrs.Arora said

I saw the gloomy guy by the locker and decided to cheer him up "Hey gloomy boy, listen up. Nice insights back there. You know I actually agree with you somewhat, but not completely. I've my own opinions. But here's a tip, you should follow your own advice"

"what do you mean"

"oh come on, have you seen how sad you look? The only reason for your nickname"

"Well, you are somewhat right. I'm new to this city"

I stretched my hand out for a handshake "Vaani Sharma"

He shakes hands "Aadvik Mishra"

"Nice meeting you Aadvik" I smile

"Nice meeting you too Vaani" he smiled back

"Hope I'll see you around gloomy boy" 

He chuckles.