4 | The Compliment

Vaani

No matter how badly I didn't want to go to school today I had to because my mother forced me to. I was finding it very difficult to concentrate in class. I kept replaying the events of last night again and again in my mind and resisted crying. I was happy I didn't run into Aryan or Alia. Yet. I saw Alia walking towards me at full speed. I had English literature so took the other route to class hoping to avoid her. But my luck is never good and things never go the way I want them to.

"Vaani ruk."

"what do you want?"

"I have English literature with you, thought we could walk together"

"since when do you have English literature, not that it matters to me"

"I switched my subjects, thought I could spend more time with you and Shraddha"

"Listen, Alia, if u think I'll forget yesterday's events and just let it go then you are wrong. You were my best friend and I never expected this from you. How could you?" tears welled up in my eyes " Look I'm not talking to you and I'm sure nor will Shraddha once she finds out. Be glad I haven't told her yet. Don't show me your face ever again."

Just when she was about to say something, Aadvik came from behind "Sorry to interrupt you whatever your name is but Vaani has a class to attend. Shall we go, Vaani?"

I was speechless. Where did he pop up from? But he was saving my ass, so I quickly said "Yes please"

We started walking and once we were away from her he asked "Who is she? Was she the reason you were crying yesterday?"

He paused and looked at me, and noticed me crying.

"Hey, hey Vaani don't cry! Don't waste your tears on someone not worth"

I nodded and wiped my tears.

He looked at me smiling and signaled me to smile. I did.

"See you look so beautiful smiling." he complimented me

Red color flew up my cheeks. Did he just compliment me? I quickly changed the topic and said "Let's go we are getting late for class"

I think the sentence slipped his mouth accidentally because he had a guilty look on his face. I couldn't help thinking if he meant it or did he said it to make me feel better.

"Thank you for what you did today"

"You're welcome"

We go to the English class and take our seats.

"Ok class that's it for today but there is a project I'd like to assign you all. I need to write your own opinion about the book and how if you were John Green would you write the last chapter. Apart from the learning part, it'll also help me to get to know your personality by knowing what you think. You'll be doing this in pairs and I'll assign the pairs. Shraddha with Manan, Sara and Aadvik, Alia and Vaani..."

"Mrs. Arora" I raised my hand

"Yes Vaani"

"Could you please pair me with someone else? um personal reasons"

"ok sure, how about Aadvik with Vaani and Sara with Alia"

"Thank you Mrs. Arora. "

"everyone the deadline is Friday you've three days and I'm excited to see your work. See you tomorrow."

I decided to forget everything and cheer my mood. I had done too much overthinking. Firstly, I decided to talk to Shraddha about it. Next, I decided to go home and throw away all the things that Aryan gave to me and reminded me of him. Last but not the least I talked to Aadvik.

"Hey sorry for before, I was not in the best mood."

"It's alright I understand. I'm glad you are better now"

"Hope you don't mind doing the project with me"

"Are you crazy? I couldn't be happier. You're the only one I know in English class. "

"Ok great so let's meet today but where?"

"Sure. How about a good coffee shop?" he suggested

"I know the perfect place. Meet me near the school at 5"

"The coffee shop is in the school?" he looked confused

"No, it's a surprise dumbo"

"Ok I'll see u then"

"See you too"