III. ares' daughter has a (aphrodite-like) plan

0003

0003. | ARES' DAUGHTER
HAS A (APHRODITE-LIKE) PLAN

          Octavia was singing healing hymns to Annabeth.

          She and her siblings had recounted ten times over. No camper had suffered more than one, single bite from the plague-carrying rats. Only Tantalus had suffered the majority of the plagued bites, and it showed. As the rest of the campers were healing, their sickness now reduced to a lightheadedness and a weakness of the limbs. But Tantalus was still poisoned a green colour and itching his skin with the only strength he could muster.

          Octavia wasn't feeling bad at all about any consideration of Tantalus' state of plague, other than sympathy for James who had taken over from her to heal him. Tantalus had screamed and argued too many times that whenever Octavia touched him, she was apparently trying to kill him. He was a lot calmer when James approached.

          It was totally ridiculous. James might have been able to sing the healing hymns better than her (a fact she loathed to admit ever), but Octavia was still the best healer at Camp. If she wanted Tantalus dead, she would have let the plague run its course. She knew the potency of the plague she was healing—Apollo had intended death if it hadn't been for the healing abilities of his children.

          "Iyah..." Annabeth hummed. "When will it be gone?"

          Octavia continued her tuneful notes but moved from wiping Annabeth's brow with a cool, wet cloth to inspecting her wounded finger. It was no longer tinged green, thanks to her healing, but still required Ambrosia or Nectar to close up the open cut. She suspected that was the same level that the other campers were at too.

          Her healing melody came to its final end. Annabeth was able to gather the strength to sit up.

          "By the morning, latest." She promised her. "You'll be able to attend the races. Everyone will, hopefully."

          "Are you still racing?" Annabeth frowned, sipping from a glass of Nectar that was placed at all the bedside tables.

          Nectar was never typically given for cuts. Those were left for larger wounds or damages. But a God-given plague was dangerous, and they needed all the help they could get. It had been Michael's call to ration the Nectar for the patients, but to leave their stores of Ambrosia for storage.

          "Yeah." She confirmed. "I just need another rider, now you're incapacitated."

          "Sorry for the inconvenience." Annabeth scoffed.

          Octavia laughed. "I didn't mean it was your fault." She promised. "I just... I really need this win, you know? I need to help my siblings. It's not fair that they're getting the treatment I deserved—,"

          "It's not your fault!" Annabeth fought with the greatest strength of volume she could manage. "You know that, right? The way Tantalus has been treating your cabin is not your fault, it's his. You shouldn't have to pay for your father's actions."