Fading love (Chapter 38)

As Neuvillette left the infirmary, a heavy silence settled over Wriothesley and Sigewinne. The weight of Neuvillette's words hung in the air, suffocating any semblance of normalcy. Wriothesley lay there, his heart shattered, his body broken, and his spirit crushed.Sigewinne watched him, her eyes filled with a mixture of sympathy and concern. She knew the depth of Wriothesley's feelings for Neuvillette.

"Wriothesley-"

"Don't. Sigewinne, It's fine, really."

"Your worth isn't defined by someone's love or lack thereof... You shouldn't let Monsieur Neuvillette's words break you." She insisted, handing Wriothesley a milkshake.He knew it would be horrible, but he still sipped the drink.

"Thank you, Sigewinne. I just don't understand," he murmured, the words escaping him like a whispered prayer. "I don't understand how love can be so... cruel... How Neuvillette can be so cruel."

Wriothesley felt Neuvillette's words etch into his mind. It affected his every waking moment. Wriothesley had never been much of a drinker unless it came down to tea, but he felt himself having a drink a little more often than he should. He got more reckless. He couldn't help it. He needed to focus on something else. Something else than the void that seemed to keep growing in his heart at every thought of the Iudex. He went out often, killing off random monsters and clockwork meka on his way. 

He got reckless, and he knew it. But he couldn't stop. He couldn't bring himself to face the darkness, the pain of losing Neuvillette. He needed him to breathe, and without him, he couldn't. He could only fight for a bit of oxygen from the thrill of destroying both himself and any monster in his way. Wriothesley's descent into recklessness became increasingly apparent to Sigewinne. She watched him with a mixture of worry and sorrow, seeing the once vibrant and composed young man spiral into a whirlwind of self-destructive behavior. Each time he returned from his forays, there was a new scar etched into his skin, a fresh wound upon his already battered soul.

Despite her efforts to reach out to him, to offer solace and companionship in his darkest moments, Wriothesley remained distant, his pain a barrier that seemed insurmountable. Sigewinne knew that words alone could not heal the wounds that Neuvillette's rejection had inflicted upon him. She understood the depths of his despair, the agony of unrequited love that threatened to consume him whole.

As days turned into weeks, Wriothesley's behavior grew more erratic, his once steady hands trembling with the weight of his turmoil. Sigewinne feared for his well-being, for the fragile thread that kept him tethered to the realm of sanity was unraveling with each passing moment.One evening, as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows upon the cobblestone streets, Sigewinne found Wriothesley standing upon the edge of a precipice, his silhouette a stark contrast against the fading light. His gaze was distant, lost in the depths of his own despair.

"Wriothesley," Sigewinne called out, her voice soft yet resolute. "Please, come back to us. You are not alone in this darkness."

For a fleeting moment, Wriothesley hesitated, his resolve faltering beneath the weight of Sigewinne's unwavering gaze. And then, with a heavy sigh, he turned towards her, his eyes shimmering with unshed tears.

"I don't know how to go on," he whispered, his voice raw with emotion. "I feel as though I'm drowning in a sea of despair, with no shore in sight."