Conflicts in the fortress (Chapter 2)

Neuvillette was left standing there, lost in thought. He began walking back to Palais Memoria. He didn't know what to make of his conversation with Wriothesley. He didn't understand his bitterness. 

When he got back to his office, he sat down. He looked at the papers on his desk, but he couldn't get back to work. He couldn't focus. The encounter earlier made him think. His mind was once again filled with Wriothesley. Neuvillette felt guilty. He knew he had no reason to, but he felt guilty. He wished things had gone differently. He had only been able to forget since he thought Wriothesley had grown to be happy with his life. Wriothesley had gone from inmate to warden. He was respected, and people even referred to him as the Duke. But now Neuvillette couldn't shake the feeling of guilt off again.

 It began to rain, a soft drizzle at first, but the longer Neuvillette sat lost in thought, the more it rained. It began to pour down, the rain hitting the window, and finally, Neuvillette looked up. 

He hadn't noticed it, but Lady Furina had entered his office. She looked concerned. Neuvillette didn't like it when Furina looked concerned. He prefers her cheerful side. Not this look of concern and worry. "Are you okay, Neuvillette?" Neuvillette frowned at her question. Of course, he was okay. "Yes, I'm quite alright, Thank you for asking." 

But Furina knew he wasn't okay, even if he didn't realize it himself. "Neuvillette-" "No. I'm alright." he insisted. 

Furina had no choice but to give up, so she decided to go get Sedene, knowing Neuvillette had a soft spot for the Melusines. Neuvillette sighed when Lady Furina brought Sedene into his office.

 Why did Furina have to be so persistent? He had no choice but to go through an entire therapy session with Sedene. She forced him to take a break and talk about everything and nothing. She kept asking about work, wondering if he was overworked, or if he needed a break or more assistance. 

The Melusine was very worried about the Iudex, and he tried to calm her and assure her that he was completely fine despite not being able to get a certain duke out of his mind.

When Sedene finally was done ensuring that the Iudex was okay, she began talking about reports and all that's currently happening around Fontaine. Neuvillette didn't really listen, but then Sedene said something that caught his attention.

 "-The Fortress of Meropide is dealing with some threats," Sedene didn't get to continue before Neuvillette interrupted, "What kind of threats?". 

"I don't know, Monsieur, but don't worry. The fortress of Meropide is outside of the law, so you don't have to deal with it. Besides, I'm sure the Duke has everything under control." 

Under normal circumstances, Neuvillette would have brushed it off after all the Fortress was none of his business. But after Wriothesley attempted to get those papers earlier, he was sure something must be wrong. 

"Sedene, could you try to get more information on the situation in the Fortress?" 

"Of course, Monsieur, I will do my best." 

Neuvillette watched Sedene rush out of his office. The Melusine had immediately gone to fulfill Neuvillette's request. He sighed, knowing there was nothing to do but wait for more intel. He began working on his never-ending pile of paperwork.

It only took a few hours before Sedene was back, he could hear it on the way she knocked on his door. Sedene rushed in, too hectic for Neuvillette's liking. Her panicked look only confirmed his suspicion.

"Monsieur Neuvillette! Monsieur Neuvillette!"

"Yes, Sedene?" he said, waiting for the Melusine to tell him what she knew.

"Someone tried to assassinate the duke!"

Surprise stole the air from his lungs, leaving him breathless. Someone had actually dared to try and assassinate the duke?

He quickly regained his composure and turned to Sedene, trying to act calm. "Thank you, Sedene, I will look into it." He said as calmly as he could, despite feeling like an electric storm was coursing through him. It was not his place as Chief Justice to meddle in the Fortress's affairs, but wouldn't it be alright if he checked up on the duke just as himself. 

To ensure the safety of a colleague, right?

He immediately began sending people out to get more information, deciding it was better to know more about the situation before interfering.

Unfortunately, there was not much to learn. Someone had tried to assassinate the duke but had gotten beaten up by the duke himself. The man was arrested, but for some reason, he kept receiving threats.

Not knowing what else to do, Neuvillette prepared to pay a visit to The Fortress of Meropide, something he had not done in years. He began his walk to the Opera house, where the lift down to the fortress was located. He walked over the bridge and stepped onto the lift. 

The descent was long and uncomfortable, but finally, he arrived in the fortress. He didn't have to walk far before receiving stares. After all, all these people had been judged and sentenced by him, but to his relief, there didn't seem to be much hostility in their eyes. He made his way to the administrative area and knocked on the door to the office. He went inside and walked up the stairs to find the duke looking more tired than usual. His entire being was slouched, and he had dark circles under his eyes. It seemed like the situation was clearly more severe than Neuvillette had heard.

"Monsieur Neuvillette, what a surprise, I did not expect you to go down here within at least a decade. How can I help you?"

Neuvillette hesitated, not quite sure how to go about this.

"I'd like to make one thing clear first. I am not here on official business. I am not here as Chief Justice but rather as myself."

Wriothesley raised an eyebrow and chuckled, 

"Does that mean I should call you Neuvillette then?" 

He said jokingly, but to his surprise, Neuvillette merely frowned and said, "If that's what you find appropriate."

"Well then, Neuvillette, may I ask why you're here? Why did you go all the way down here to the fortress?" 

Wriothesley asked with a smirk, trying to uphold his carefree image. However, it didn't work, as Neuvillette saw right through him.

"Your grace," Neuvillette began.

"Wriothesley"

"What?"

"If this isn't official business, I insist you call me by my name, like I call you by yours, Neuvillette."

"Alright then, Wriothesley." Neuvillette began again, "I'd like to discuss some things I've heard and that I wish to have more intel on."

"Well go ahead then, I'll gladly answer your questions" Wriothesley said, much to Neuvillette's delight. Perhaps it won't be too difficult to solve this situation.