Confrontation (Chapter 7)

He had been convinced to stay a little longer, just a little.

That was 3 hours ago.

He had gotten someone to get some of his paperwork brought down into the fortress, as it seemed like the Duke intended to keep him for a while. "For safety" and "So it's easier to work together while we figure out who wants to kill me." The duke had said. Now Neuvillette was stuck here, in Wriothesley's office, doing paperwork.

Wriothesley was also just doing paperwork as if they would solve anything while sitting here. Or maybe they would. Neuvillette could hear the same person just walked by the office for the 14th time in 1 hour and 28 minutes.

"Your grace."

"Didn't I tell you to call me Wriothesley?"

"Wriothesley."

"Yes?"

"We're getting company soon. If they get themselves together and actually go inside."

Neuvillette listened, and there they went again.

"What are you talking about?" Wriothesley asked, confusion evident in his voice.

"Well, you see, the same person has been walking by your office over and over again for a little over an hour now."

Wriothesley raised an eyebrow and looked at Neuvillette.

"And how do you know that?"

"I can hear and sense everyone and everything within the fortress."

"Okay, I won't ask why... Do you think it's the person who wants to kill me?"

"That's very unlikely. They wouldn't show up here themself. Perhaps it's a subordinate or something." 

"Do you have a plan, Monsieur?" 

"Naturally." 

"Mind sharing it?" 

Neuvilette began explaining his plan to Wriothesley. They could both agree that Neuvilette shouldn't be in the office, or at least not so he could be seen. It takes a lot of courage to try assassinating the Duke, but to do it in front of Neuvilette? No chance. They wanted the person to reveal themselves, so they could catch them and interrogate them. So Neuvilette had to hide and Wriothesley would wait.

10 minutes went by, and then another 20. Wriothesley waited for 2 whole hours, and so did Neuvilette. They waited a little longer and soon they heard the door to the office open. Usually, it would be loud, and you would always know if someone opened it. But this person knew how to open the door silently. So silently Wriothesley almost didn't hear it. Neuvilette of course did. The person slowly made their way up the steps and stood in front of Wriothesley. Wriothesley had expected it to be one of the guards or inmates, but to his surprise, he had no idea who the fuck this person was or how they got into the fortress without him noticing. The man stood in front of him, pointing a gun right at his head.

"Who are you?"

"Well, you see-"