Eye of the storm (Chapter 8)

Neuvillette left the Fortress and went back to his office in Palais Memoria, now with a clue to look into. He gave the address to Sedene, asking her to find it for him. He wasn't sure where to start or if this clue would even help him, but he decided to look at the name while waiting, hoping it could maybe help him learn a bit more. 

He began looking through the archives to find the name in the letter but found nothing. He then went back to his office, thinking that perhaps he would be able to find the name in his own records. But he couldn't. The name did not exist. There was no one in all of Fontaine with the name "Ciel." Was it perhaps a codename for someone? He looked up the name and its meaning. Ciel means heavenly. 

This was odd, as there was not anyone who dared to call themselves heavenly in Fontaine. At least not in front of Furina or himself. But the name also means sky. Neuvillette couldn't make sense of it. No one was arrogant enough to consider themself heavenly, and no one cared for the sky in the nation of water. Was it perhaps a metaphor for something else? 

Sedene returned with news about the address. It was a small house or cottage located in the Liffey region. Neuvillette thought about going alone. It would be easier to just teleport there and search through everything. But he had to bring Wriothesley along and burden himself with the 'struggle' of walking.

He sent a letter to Wriothesley and began doing paperwork to pass the time. It seemed like no matter how much he worked, there were always papers to do and matters to attend to. Usually, it wouldn't bother him, but right now his mind was racing with thoughts and possibilities. He couldn't sit still. He couldn't focus. His leg was bouncing restlessly as he scribbled over the parchment in front of him.

When Wriothesley finally showed up, (It only took an hour, but Neuvillette was restless, and it felt like 5) they went out together and began walking to the Liffey region. They could both walk quite far in little time. Therefore, it didn't take long before they sat foot in Liffey and walked past the statue of the seven. The bridge over to the other side was in ruins, but it was no problem for the two, who simply jumped over to the other side. 

The weather was quite nice, and the water sparkled. Neuvillette enjoyed this breath of fresh air and the trip to the Liffey region. He did not come here often, since the research institute blew up.

They chatted while walking, both quite fond of the other's company, and i feeling of ease and contentment filled them. Neuvillette knew that Wriothesley was safe now, as he could watch and make sure to keep him out of harm's way. No one would be foolish enough to attack the Duke while he was there, and it filled him with restfulness. Wriothesley too was relaxed. He had the Iudex by his side, and he was out in the open. He was safe. 

Neuvillette then remembered the name in the letter and asked Wriothesley, "About the name in the letter. There is not a single person in all of Fontaine with that name. I found no one. But the name means heavenly or sky. Do you perhaps see a connection where I don't?"

Wriothesley frowned. "No, I don't. Could it have something to do with the old research institute?"

"What? Why would there be a connection between those things?" Neuvillette asked.

"Well, the research institute was blown into the SKY. Maybe some old researchers who survived are arrogant enough to consider themselves better or 'heavenly' and still associate themselves with the ruins. I have heard people refer to the ruins as the institute in the sky or as heaven. Maybe they're still bitter about losing the institute."

"But what could they possibly have against you?"

"Hah, who knows what those losers are thinking."

"Please do not refer to the researchers of Fontaine like that."Neuvillette sent him a stern look, but it was only met with a chuckle.

They continued their walk around the Liffey region, trying to find a house. This act was supposed to be easy, but they could not find a house. They decided to walk towards Mount Esus east instead, to see if there was such a thing as a house there. Who thought finding a house would be that difficult?

Neuvillette looked at Wriothesley as they walked. He had never chatted this much with anyone before, and for once, he didn't dislike it. He studied Wriothesley's features mindlessly, only stopping when he was caught.

Wriothesley didn't mind Neuvillette staring at him, it was flattering actually. The fact that the elegant Chief Justice even spared him a glance was surprising enough. He did look like a brute after all. He was nowhere near as majestic as Neuvillette.

Now it was Wriothesley's turn to stare at Neuvillette. He just now realized how pretty the Iudex actually was. 

"Hey, Neuvillette?"

"Yes?"

"How did you get your hair like that?"

"What do you mean?"

"It's very long"

"I grew it out."

"How long did it take?"

"I don't know. five hundred years, give or take?"

"So you really aren't human?"

"I thought we established that already."

Wriothesley chuckled, "We did, but you didn't tell me what exactly you are."

"Are you going to keep asking over and over again for all eternity?"

"Hah, I would, but I won't be around for all eternity."

"Right."