The Sun and the Star - Part Four

A small gathering of dryads and nymphs greeted Nico and Will as they entered the dining pavilion, and Mr D had to shoo them away to even get close.

"Ah, if it isn't four of my favourite demigods," he said as he embraced his daughter first, both of them kissing each other on the cheek before he turned on Percy. The two men sized each other up before they did a fist-bump handshake by way of greeting.

Cressida glared at them. The two of them were always acting like they didn't like each other when really the opposite was true. Percy had really won Mr D over even though he was still Peter Johnson; they'd grown on each other like mould on bread.

The god of wine then held his arms open and embraced both Will and Nico at the same time.

''Favourite?" Will said into Mr D's armpit. "I thought you didn't even like demigods."

"Oh, I don't," he said. "All of you could fall to the bottom of the sea and I wouldn't care. But I'd prefer if you two were the last to drown. My children not included of course."

Cressida then cleared her throat and her father sighed.

"I suppose Pierre could be included as well, but he is well after the four of you," Mr D amended and Cressida just rolled her eyes, Percy wisely keeping his mouth shut despite the way he wanted to make a snarky remark.

"I can't believe I missed you," said Nico, grinning. "It's great to be back."

"I must hear everything," said Mr D, gesturing to a table piled with fresh, steaming food. "Eat up, and commence with the storytelling, because what I've already heard sounds phenomenal."

"Already heard?' said Will. 'But ... we just got here."

"News travels fast in our world," said Chiron, sitting at the head of the table as Mr D looped his daughter's arm around his and led her to the seat on his right before he took the other end of the table and Percy slid in next to Cressida.

A couple of dryads darted up and began to pour chalices of nectar for everyone.

"And bits and pieces of your exploits have floated to the surface, so to speak." Mr D glanced down at Nico's feet and the Cocoa Puffs ducked behind them. "I am especially eager to hear about ... whatever they are!"

Nico thought Mr D looked like he was about to explode from excitement, and it was honestly a complete delight.

Will led Nico to the table, and they sat next to each other. There were fluffy eggs, glistening bowls of fruit, a towering stack of fresh pancakes and a platter piled high with crispy vegan bacon. Nico was certain he was going to eat every morsel. "Well, where should we start?" he said after scarfing three flapjacks in rapid succession.

Chiron's mouth was open a little bit. Mr D's eyes were wide like he was a demigod in the armoury.

"The beginning, Nico," said Mr D, sitting opposite Chiron. "Obviously."

"Papa, play nice," Cressida chided as she poured syrup on Percy's blue pancakes and he sprinkled some blueberries on top of hers.

And so Nico and Will took turns sharing what had happened over the course of the previous week. Nico would speak when Will needed to eat, and Will would take over when Nico's eyes went all glassy as a new plate of food was placed on the table. Nico expected to feel exhausted after everything that had happened, but he realized how badly his heart, soul and mind had missed being here, in Camp Half-Blood, among people who cared for him. He would always have a soft spot for the Underworld. It was his second home. But his first home – and this was what Nyx couldn't understand about him – was the mortal world. He had spent so many years resisting companionship, friendship and love. He'd refused to stay in one place and hadn't allowed anyone to get close to him. No matter how hard people tried to show Nico that they cared, he had chosen loneliness and isolation instead.