Keep your head Sam, he's not on your team, remember?

"Hello?" He waves his hand in front of Sam's face and she realizes she's dazed out on him.

"Sorry, long morning. No, I don't live here full time. I live in San Diego, but I come here regularly to see my aunts and help them with their store. I make jewelry for them as well as other clients on the mainland," she explained without getting into details.

That should explain her situation and resolve his curiosity. Should but did it, no, of course not. The FBI agent is nothing but relentless.

"Who are your other clients?" He took the seat next to her and bumps her elbow with his.

He asks a lot of questions. Nothing overly personal but enough to make her nervous. Where's she from, why is she here, who does she work for? He's poking around and that's not good. Not that she doesn't have a cover story. Not that she isn't able to tell him everything that he needs to hear. But she's still nervous.

"I can't say. I'm under a NDA. Sorry," with a smile Sam crunches into a chip. "The company I work for is very specific about how they do business. All my designs are registered to them. The few that I do here on the island are kept quiet and they are aware of it as long as I don't advertise it."

"And if I want to buy something else from you? How do I do that?" He's good, Sam thought, and had to think fast.

Reaching into her wallet, she pulled out the card for her aunt's shop and handed it to him. "Here. You can tell my aunt that you are interested in buying one of my pieces, describe what you want to them and I'll get it made. They'll call you when it's ready."

"Here you go, Sam," Carly brought out my food and had McKenzie sitting up. "Well hello, stranger. Is this gorgeous man with you, Sam?"

Rolling her eyes, Sam shook her head, "He's new. Officer McKenzie this is Carly Stewert, bartender and restaurant extraordinaire and an awesome friend. The officer bought some earrings from me this morning."

"You have good taste then. No one knows jewelry like Sam. She's got a degree in gemology and she makes one of a kind stuff that no one can come close to. We're very proud of our girl," Carly is talking too much and not helping Sam's situation.

"Does she?" Knox's interest peaked even more. Could this be the Samantha Midnight he's been looking for?

"Oh! Sam you should go to this big party at the golf club this weekend! There's this big stone um, from some ritzy place... shit, where was that? Bradford something or other..."

"Bradford Jeweler's in London?" Sam offered the name, she knew it well.

Snapping her fingers, Carly pointed at Sam, "that's the one! They're showing some rock tonight, I don't remember its name, what's it called? The something Venus, I don't remember..."

"The Graft Venus?" Sam asked slowly.

It can't be. It hasn't been shown in decades.

If it's true, Sam knows exactly what stone Carly is talking about. Most people don't even know what it looks like much less that it even exists. For most it is just a myth that the Graft Venus is real. Who would believe a 118 carat, uncut, heart shaped diamond would be real?

Carly nods her head like a loon.

So that's why she got the call. Sam began to put the pieces of the puzzle together. One of her biggest buyers encouraged her to take a break. He knew it would be here. And he wanted her to be here to get it for him. Of course he does.

"Damn it!" Sam whispered.

McKenzie heard the curse and froze looking at each of the women, realizing that his buddy might have been right. "Are you okay?"

"Huh? Yeah? Yes, fine," Sam obviously was not fine.

She could feel the cold sweat drip down her spine. The man who has been chasing her for two years is sitting right next to her talking about a diamond that she has been approached to steal for one of the biggest moguls in the world. How could any of this be fine?

The Graft Venus was the ultimate take. If she could pull off a heist like that, she could retire and never do another job. Or she would spend the rest of her life in prison. Both are very real possibilities.

"Yeah, The Graft Venus, that's it! It's on display for the first time in eons. I guess it's a big deal. Anyway, you should go. I got an invite, all the businesses did. I wasn't planning on going, but with you here, Sam, that changes everything. I will go if you want to go. You should go. You can be my date," looking at Knox, she grinned and corrected her statement, "Friend only, of course. Oh, Be right back," Carly hurried away, leaving Sam to stare at the bottles.

"So... Sam, is it?" McKenzie says in a tone that says everything. He knows who she is and he's going to arrest her right now. "You make jewelry and you just happen to be a gemologist?"

"Yes." Sam can attest that is true.

"And you just got back on the island yourself?"

"Yes." True again.

"If I do a background check on you, Sam, what am I going to find?" Looking into the agent's eyes for just a second Sam swore she saw hope. Hope that she wasn't the woman he was looking for.

"Nothing that I'm aware of," Sam took that glimmer of hope and ran with it.

Knox wasn't sure if he wanted this beautiful woman to be the one he's been chasing for the last two years or not. Maybe he just needed a break like Sterner said,"Are you sure about that?"

Sam decided to pull the plug. One way or the other, agent McKenzie was going to run a background check on her. She might as well just get it over with.

"Tell you what, I'll make it easy for you. My name is Samina Atlas but Sam for short, and yes, Officer McKenzie, I am a gemologist. My two aunts live here on the island, Charlotte Atlas and Maisy Crown. My parents died in a robbery when I was young and my aunt was named my guardian.

"I don't have any driving tickets or outstanding warrants for my arrest. I pay my bills, my taxes and anything else that comes my way. I also pay for my aunts building expenses and their home. I make sure they have a roof over their heads and food in their kitchen. I take care of them so before you judge me for working on the mainland and the island, you better get your facts straight!" The more Sam talks the more defensive and angry she gets.

Knox smirks knowing he's gotten under her skin, "anything else I should know?"

"I don't know how you handle your business, Officer McKenzie, but on this island we consider hospitality and professionalism common courtesy." She might as well finish this. "I also don't appreciate being treated like one of your criminals. Excuse me."

"Ms. Atlas? Don't leave town," Knox told her, getting an irritated glare in response as Sam stormed off.

Sliding off the stool, she went to one of the servers, made her excuse for leaving and took her food with her. She had to escape.

She established her other identity as Samantha Midnight well. She is the best thief when it comes to gems in the world. She can spot a fake immediately and she knows how to cut a stone just right, even some of the best jewelers can't see the difference.

She is called on by some of the richest people in the world who want to own the most famous jewels. Not to share them with the world but to hide them away for themselves. It keeps her identity safe and their mouths shut. And it's rare that she actually does that kind of job.

Usually she steals a stone that she can cut down easily and sell fast. Being able to make other jewelry out of it makes it just that much easier and with her clients being selective with one of a kind items only makes her fees more profitable.

As Sam walked along the shore, she pulled out her phone and dialed the familiar number. "You knew it would be here, didn't you? I can't steal it now! The FBI followed me, you idiot! Call your dogs off now before you blow the whole thing! You'll get your damn stone, don't worry!"

She'd get the job done but for this one time Sam Midnight was going to need help.

Please remember to vote comment and share