Chapter 36

Kemar POV

What was to be one of the best nights of my life was marred by Seana's emotionally disturbed father and Bounty's egotistical display of power. These two incidents were enough to let me push past my rationality and act in the anger that was raging in me.

However, I kept my peace and did not act on the blinding rage mixed with embarrassment that was whirling about in me.

I was holding onto my composure by a thin thread. To say that I was not humiliated that a full grown hundred and seventy-pound man like me was tossed like a rag doll across the room by a mindless drunk was an understatement and this alone was enough to send my feelings reeling out of control.

Yet all this fled when I had stood and watched Cullayne in her element. The sight of her in full display of her reading ability was always a sight to behold.

"Are you sure you don't want to head on home? The last thing I want is further uproar th----" I ask her seeing that the night has lost its flavour and I was feeling apprehensive about what else might transpire.

Them have a saying seh trouble come in threes and I was not ready to face any anymore.

"Ssshhh I am sure," Cullayne said cutting me off as she leaned her head on my shoulder as we were driven to our destination. Let's forget about everything and everyone fi a while please."

"Ok baby no prob," I return as I bask in the feel of her nestled comfortably against me.

"Yuh know why mi put mi phone pan silent because tonight is ours," she said softly as she shifted to look up at me.

I smiled and took her hand in mind trying my best not to think of the pain that throbbed in my bruised shoulder. I just wanted to lose myself in the tranquillity that came with being with Cullayne.

To think that I finally have her as mine was the best feeling ever and to know that she was going to be my wife left me with,  the woman that I was going to love and cherish for the rest of my took the sting off the unfortunate events of tonight.

"Suh, what yuh have in mind hmmm?" I ask trying my best not to think of what Bounty had said. I knew him too well to take him lightly and I was sure enough I did not want to take his jubilant behaviour for granted.

I had this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that I was in for something cruel because Bounty was that sinister.

His bitterness stems from grudges that run deeper than what he showed on the surface and I was considered an enemy and knew he was more than ready to treat me as such.

I felt the change in Cullayne before it registered on her face. Her eyes searched mine long enough to know exactly what was going on in my mind. It was too late to pretend that I was not bothered by Bounty and to be honest I did not want to hide my true feelings from her.

"Listen tonight can wait. I sense your trouble," she said rubbing my hand comfortingly.

The last thing I wanted was to let Bounty spoil what I knew she had in store for me. I was like an eager stallion waiting to mount its mere yet there was an apprehension in me that I could not push aside and it had me pulling in opposite directions.

I felt her lean forward and claim my lips. Her soft lips against mine stirred my need further. How could one woman tear down my defences without even trying? In seconds it intensified and the kiss got deeper.

Our tongues dueled for domination and I was now between a rock and a hard place as they say because all my sensibilities were shattered into fractions that had me wanting to give in to what she had in store and my concerns about Bounty's behaviour.

I could barely hold back. I wanted to throw caution to the wind and have her in ways that only I alone could, but I had to be her friend as much as I am to be her lover.

Maybe this turn in tonight's events was God's way of ensuring I did not let Cullayne venture down a path that I was not equipped to take her from.

"I just need to go home an see that all is well," I said softly after she reluctantly pulled away.

"I understand," she smiled then added mischievously, "Look like mi affi guh wait until me turn Mrs Gregory."

"Yuh figure?" I asked with a raised brow and grinned when I saw her lower her eyes and appear flustered by the true nature of what I needed from her but she was not to be overwhelmed for long.

"Yuh going to prove otherwise?"

"Believe me Laynie if tonight had not turned out the way it had I would have you beneath me in trios of ecstasy by now," I responded huskily.

"I would rather you do what is best," she said after a short pause. "After all sex before marriage is not..."

Her voice trailed off and I was faced with another circumstance that was pushing me against the wall again. I knew I told her sex was not the basis of what I wanted with her but it was there nonetheless.

We both knew that there were avenues that might cost us if we got too carried away and more so now that it was public knowledge of my intentions to make her my wife. They were persons waiting for a loophole to pounce through and drag down Lamais any way they could.

A reader who based her all on God was not their cup of tea knowing her faith and belief refrained her from doing their ghastly deeds.

They were obligations and responsibilities that as Cullayne's intended I had to adhere to and sex before marriage was sticking out like a sore thumb ready to be used as an advantage to the vultures who were circling in wait for Lamais and the churches's fall.

"I am trying my best to do the right thing in ensuring that I stick to the principles that govern our Christian lifestyle but I will be honest in letting you know I need you in every sense of the word," I told her honestly. "It's hard not to want you and not show it."

I traced the delicate curve of her face as she stared up at me and felt my heart further melt with love for her. All my life I have loved Cullayne and with that love has always come the need to protect her. It has not changed if anything my desire to protect her has intensified.

"I, however, made that clear the other night." I continued, "God sees this weakness in me and probably He's providing me a way out of letting it fail you in the long run."

"Kem I love you and even if what happened the other night is wrong in the sight of God I have no regrets," she returned her eyes burning with her emotions. "I have my regrets but know that they have nothing to do with that wonderful opportunity you gave me to feel your love on another level."

I leaned down a kissed her gently wishing I could stop time and take from her what I knew she so wanted to give but I knew the night for us had come to an end.

"Thank you Layne for wanting to buy me some time but whatever dilemma awaits me I best face it caus Bounty need fi know I ain't scared of him," I told her finding the courage to walk away from what I wanted more than ever; being with her.

"Just know you owe mi she teased," trying to make light of the situation before we headed on over to the waiting taxi with an astute driver who stood on guard as he knew the type of person Bounty was and the dark things he stood for.

I thought one thing as we nestled in the back seat of the car and drove away. I do not want Bounty to rob anyone of their happiness and peace because because they cared for me.