Business was good, great even. With the rate that she was moving at, she had only but a few years before she found herself being as wealthy as her father, if not more.

Her life was great. She and Mia got their results that they both celebrated by taking a mini vacation to some resort out of town. She hadn't wanted to involve herself in her father's business despite his pleas, for fear of running into Riley. Because although it has been long since she saw her, talked to her, seen her, felt and touched her, she was still very much in love with her.

But she knew it was too late for her. It's not as if she stalked the older woman, well, maybe she did. But she truly couldn't just stay away now, could she? Riley is, afterall, the reason why she no longer depends on her father for anything. With the money she earns at the house, she managed to rent herself a small apartment, but she still visits her home. Sometimes she eats lunch with them before returning to her own place. But on the days when her youngest brother refuses to let her leave, she spends the night, but never really a full day. She loved them all, really. But she desperately needed to have her own space. Especially after everything that had happened over the past year.

Mia had left to further her studies. Because unlike Jennie who really was done with school, she still wanted to get more qualifications so she can get her dream job even though Jennie had offered her partnership of the Art House. She still helped around the place whenever she came down to visit though, always complaining over Jennie's refusal to move on. They hadn't really spent too much time together with both of them being busy.

"Oh and that guy who keeps calling the house and asking for you? He called again," Jennie rolled her eyes then. Because she didn't know how or why, but her ex Jimmy had found out where she worked despite her tries to avoid him, and had been trying to get her back. Of course, she gave him no attention, but he really was getting annoying.

A lot of guys, and some girls, had been asking her out lately but she really wasn't ready to start dating again. If not because she wanted to solely focus on her business, then because she still thought about Riley. She reminisced about how she treated her, supported her, cared for her. She dreamed of what they were, what they could've been. Really, no day passed by without her cursing her foolish mind for bringing into her head, those silly thoughts of doubt that made her distance herself from the woman.

She felt ashamed of herself when Bryan had released a statement, cancelling out his accusation of Riley killing his best friend. Because for a second, she really did believe him. Her heart broke everytime she remembered the night she found a drunk Riley hiding away in a guest room, broken and sad because people just wouldn't stop comparing her to her father, and throwing his sins at her. Because as soon as their contract was terminated, she had done exactly that despite promising not to. At times, she hated herself for not being there for the older woman. She knew how much Riley had needed the support, especially the emotional one. But like an ungrateful brat, she had avoided her like the plague, ghosted her as if she had never mattered to her.

It was disheartening, really. To think about how she had just wasted her chance at genuine love. Just a day ago she had visited her late mother's grave, and she couldn't help remembering how Riley once held her when she cried over her. She knew that her father still did business with the Browns, hence she avoided associating herself with anything that had to do with his business. Because how do you face someone who continued to show you love and care even after you treated them like a monster?

.......

Monday morning of an entirely new year, a great morning. Riley's mother was released on parole a few weeks into the new year, and her father couldn't be more grateful. He looked brighter now, happier. He smiled more, laughed more, and even made jokes. Her family was finally coming together and Riley couldn't be more glad.