Chapter 2

Riley sat at the back of one of the family cars with her father. Two guards sat at the front, one of them driving the car. A divider was set on the large car to give the Browns some privacy, but no words were said. Riley made sure to sit far away from her father, but she still felt like his presence was suffocating her.

"Why did you call it off?" Riley asked her father in regards to the arranged marriage, but she let her eyes stay glued to the window, not wanting to look at him. Peterson shifted uncomfortably in his seat, not wanting to show his vulnerability. He cleared his throat and also focused on the window, a large space between them.

"Your mother," he started, pausing in hesitation as he chanced a glance at her daughter and was grateful to see Riley not looking at him. The latter knows that her father was one who lacked the ability to show vulnerability. He is one of those people who, when they show what they see as weakness, which is on rare occasions, one wrong move would shut them up.

"She reminded me of something that made me realise that it is not fair for me to choose a woman for you."

Riley glanced at her father for only but a second before looking back at the window, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. She didn't bother asking him what it is that her mother reminded him of because it really didn't concern her. Besides, Riley knew well that if her father wants you to know something then he will tell it to you directly. She wasn't sure how she should feel about her mother speaking to him on her behalf. She was still curious about one more thing though.

"I went to see her about a month ago."

The words were said so randomly, catching Peterson off guard. He turned to face his daughter now, a soft expression on his face.

"You- you did?" He asked, his voice low with a trace of hesitation. Riley let out a soft sigh but didn't face her father. She wasn't ready to go further in conversations about her mother with her father.

"She told me about your reason for the whole thing. You want me to have kids, lord knows for what reason," she responded with a low mumble on the last words, not bothering to answer her father's questions. Peterson's face switched back to his cold demeanour, turning to face the window once more.

"Yes. Time is running out. The year ends in a month's time, which means we ought to start with the preparations. Joshua's daughter is off the hook now..." he said, his voice stern as he turned to look at Riley, the latter turning to look at him as well. Their eyes met, both their faces masked in a fog stubbornness.

"That means that you have to find another woman to carry your child." After saying these words, Peterson turned away from Riley. Sensing that the conversation was over, the latter also turned away from her father, deep in thought. One month. Where the hell will I get someone to carry a child for me in a frickin month?! And how will I even do this? What about a donor? Where the fuck does he want her to get a do- Riley was brought out of her panicked thoughts by her father speaking once more.

"As much as it would displeasure me for you to have an offspring that doesn't share the same blood as you, you are welcome to follow any procedure. However, if you really want a child to carry our blood, your blood, then I am more than willing to be your donor," Peterson said in a low voice as he nervously glanced at his daughter who was beyond shocked. Her eyes were wide open as she looked at her father. Wait, is he showing me... kindness? What the hell did mom say to him?" Riley wondered, her face a mask of confusion. Quickly composing herself, she sat up straight and faced the window once more, a small smile on her.

"I'll keep that in mind. Thank you, dad."

Peterson allowed himself a small smile, even though Riley couldn't see it. It was hard for him to show any signs of affection when it came to his daughter. He didn't hate her, far be it from that. He loved Riley with all his heart, but all the guilt he held inside of him prevented him from openly loving his daughter. He wanted her to hate him, to resent him even. Because he believed that he was not deserving of her love, not when he had ripped out her heart from a young age, all because of his own upbringing. When Mariposa took the fall for him, despite his disapproval, that had been the nail on the head that sealed the fast growing rivalry between father and daughter.

.......

Jennie walked out of her room and made her way downstairs to the kitchen. After a long conversation with her friend Mia, she finally got ready, settling on something casual, no longer eager to dress up for her supposed-to-be wife. Maybe she had looked at it all wrong. Maybe what she thought was blooming love was actually infatuation. Besides, she was still convinced that she wasn't gay. But why did she still feel nervous?

She found Murrieta in the kitchen with a maid. They seemed to almost be done with preparing the food. The older woman quickly spotted her stepdaughter and walked to her with an excited grin on her face.

"Jennie, you're here! Your father's almost done preparing upstairs. I just came down to see how far they've gone with preparing our meals!" She exclaimed excitedly. She was happy. Grateful even. Because not only is her stepdaughter free, but she seems to have crawled out of her cocoon. Ever since she got back, the girl had been spending more time with her family. She can now have a nice conversation with her stepmother without any negative emotions rising.

Jennie looked at the older woman and let out a small smile. Although she still wanted to find out the exact cause of her mother's death, she figured she'd have to warm up to Murrieta and her father. It could be wrong, but she really couldn't care at the moment. Knowing how her mother died is her number one priority.

"Have the Brown's confirmed their arrival?" She asked, the smile still on her face. She already knew the response to her question, but she needed a topic to start a conversation with her. Riley had texted he while she took her bath, telling her that she couldn't wait to see her once more. At first, the message had given her butterflies and she had quickly responded with a sweet text as well. But after the call she had with her friend she doubted that the feelings she felt for the older woman were real. Maybe the whole thing is getting to her head and controlling her sense of reasoning, but what can one do to a blind man who thinks that the room is dark?

"Oh, yes! They'll be here real soon," Murrieta said excitedly. She was happy that Jennie was talking to her more now and it showed on her face. Just as she said those words, they heard what sounded like cars driving into the compound.

"I think that's them. Darling, please let them in while I rush upstairs and quickly prepare myself," Murrieta said before leaving the room. Jennie turned and looked at her until she left before her smile disappeared, the maid too busy checking the food to notice. She frowned slightly and slowly walked out of the room. As she got to the living room, a gentle knock rang on the door.

Quickly composing herself, Jennie wore yet another small smile as she made her way to the door, opening it.