Terrifyingly beautiful, she confirmed to herself deciding that, despite the frightening aura he gave off, there was no way someone whose voice was as sweet as warm honey could be all bad.

She'd met many bad people, and try as they might to feign friendliness, it was almost always tainted. There seemed to be no insincerity in his voice, or crookedness in his smile.

Maybe he truly wants to be friends, she told herself. However, there was still the issue of why she was there with them and how she had been brought there.

"That's much better," Vincent said on seeing her smile. "How are you finding your new home, Alexis?"

"I don't know," Alexis answered truthfully which received a slight frown from Thomas. "Why am I here?" she asked.

Vincent's smile dropped for a moment. "Quite frankly, it seems that your father hasn't been honouring his duty and taking care of you. So, as a former friend of your mother, I decided that I would do it."

"So, my dad's not in any trouble?" she asked.

"Would it bother you if he were?"

Alexis remained silent in thought before uttering a simple. "No."

Her answer seemed to please Vincent, who, in turn, smiled, somewhat larger than he had been smiling previously. "I like honest people," he said.

He had a pleasant smile which he held comfortably as he turned to ask Ren about dinner preparations and then instructed Alexis to follow him through to the dining room along with the rest of the men.

The dining room housed a large dining table decorated with vases and laid with plates and cutlery, and the walls were lined with serving tables where men were currently laying with food. Once again, the room and atmosphere were reminiscent of a movie based on a royal family.

Vincent walked to the end of the table where he pulled out a chair on the left side of the head of the table and gestured for Alexis to sit down. He pushed her chair back under the table and then took a seat at the head of the table. Thomas then took his seat opposite Alexis, to the right of Vincent.

Then, the men who were laying the food out began taking rounds and ensuring that all of the plates on the table were filled. Alexis looked hungrily at the food on her plate but hesitated, fearing what the price of food could be, based on her experiences from the past.

"Are you not hungry?" Vincent asked.

"No," Alexis lied.

"When did you eat last?"

In truth, she couldn't even remember. Surely she'd had something to eat that morning, all the same, she lied again. "Not long before I was taken."

"Alexis," Vincent said, his voice sharper than before. "Remember what I said about honest people," he continued, holding her gaze with his as he spoke. "If we're going to get along, you need to be that kind of person. Do you understand?"

Alexis' face contorted for a moment. His words almost seemed like a threat though no animosity was present in his voice. She wanted to ask exactly what would happen if they didn't get along - would it be worse than she could imagine or not as bad? But she already knew that tempting someone's hand often worked out against you rather than in your favour, so, instead, she simply nodded.

"Good," he said plainly. "What is it that you were doing before you were taken?"

She gave a light sigh and wondered exactly how many more questions he would fire at her.

"The usual," she replied.

Vincent's eyelids narrowed slightly at her answer, prompting her to quickly add.