Chapter 3. Capture the Flag

The next day, Percy was being escorted by Luke to the training grounds of capture the flag. Nailea was right next to Annabeth holding her bow in her right hand. This was by far their favorite activity at camp.

"You're gonna love this. Camp-wide mock warfare, all glory to the victors." Luke explained to Percy. Annabeth's the head counselor of the Athena Cabin and Nailea is the one and only member and leader of the Artemis cabin. Those two led our team to victory to three straight wins. Been a long time since anyone's won a fourth."

Percy looked at the girls from across the field, "They were there in the bathroom. They said they'd been waiting for it to happen."

Luke moves in front of Percy to explain, "Annabeth sees the world differently. Always six steps ahead of everyone else. And Nailea, well, she's one of a kind, she sees things most people don't. Gets it from Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt and all. You should cut them a break."

Percy was watching Nailea unconsciously before looking back at Luke, "Whose side are you one, anyway?"

"Oh, theirs, always. Annabeth's my little sister and like I said, Nailea is one of a kind." Percy looked up at him confused and Luke chuckled, "Maybe I should back up."

From afar, Nailea has been watching Luke and Percy talk, she wanted to talk to the boy, but she just didn't know what to say.

§§§

Luke and Percy were now sat at one of the tables in the dining area and Luke explained their story, "Before camp, I was on the road. Me and a forbidden kid I met along the way. Her name was Thalia."

"And what does that mean, forbidden?" Percy wondered.

"A long time ago, Zeus Poseidon, and Hades agreed their children were becoming too powerful, so they made a pact not to father any more. And it held for a long time, until Zeus broke that pact. Until Thalia." Luke paused for a moment in thought, "A forbidden kid attracts trouble. Monsters everywhere, it's just constant battle to stay alive."

"One day, we, uh, find these two girl hiding in an alley. Annabeth and Nailea. We were worried about taking them in, exposing them to all that danger. Then we saw them fight." Luke chuckled softly at the memory before turning sad.

"Thalia didn't make it. But Nailea, Annabeth, and me... we did. And we've been family ever since." Luke concluded his story for Percy to speak up.

"Two things, they've been watching me since I got here. Why?"

Luke hesitated before speaking, "They are the strongest warriors at camp. Both in different ways. The only way left to prove themselves is to go on a quest."

Percy shakes his head, "And what does this have to do with me?"

"Chiron has been promising them for years. One day, a demigod would arrive who was fated to go on a quest that even Chiron couldn't prevent. And when that happened, she could join it. Every new arrival, Annabeth watched, looking for a sign they're the one. Nailea, however, doesn't. Annabeth gives up usually after a day or two, but she is still watching you. And you are the first Nailea has ever kept an eye on."

"Nailea, she-" Percy hesitates, "She seems very familiar. I've seen her face before, and I think she's seen me too." Before Luke could ask, they heard a conch shell blowing. The two turn around to see Chiron.

"Heroes...  it's time. The game begins."

§§§

"The first team to retrieve the opposing flag and return it across the River shall be the victor. As always, there will be no maiming and no killing." Chiron announced to all the campers at camp all gathered around in their gear. "I trust these rules will be respected. Any magical items you may possess, are permitted as well."