Prologue

"So I make this wish, to have something more for us than this."
-Ariana DeBose

A story of heart break begins with the promise to one's self that can't be broken. Artemis swore to herself that she would never marry, to always remain a virgin. For years she kept this promise and had not a regret in the world. That was until she met Ronan Clarke, a human man. He showed her things about the world that not even she knew.

Ronan Clarke was a kind man who cared for others over himself. He was great with kids and taught them self defense and would help with archery. Artemis was the complete opposite from him, the only thing they had in common was archery and that was all it took. When they first met, Artemis landed a direct hit in his nose.

Over time, Artemis began to fall in love with him, she was warned by Zeus, her brother, and everyone, but she didn't listen. And over time as well, Ronan fell in love with Artemis. But they could never be. On the last night Artemis would ever see Ronan, she told him who she was, the Goddess Artemis, but he already knew.

He knew they could never be together just as well as Artemis knew, but if they were never to see one another again, she wanted to tell Ronan how she felt. The greatest heartbreak was to fall in love with one another even knowing they will never be together.

After leaving that day, Artemis watched over Ronan and saw him go out on dates. It broke her heart, but at the end of the dates, Ronan would always say that he had a good time, but he doesn't think they should see one another. That was every date. Ronan couldn't let go and would never love anyone the way he loved Artemis.

And every night when the sun set, the two would go out and star gaze for hours on end, even if they were in completely different places. He talked to the stars, hoping for her to be listening to what he was saying. And up on Mount Olympus, she would listen to him.

He spoke of how he wished that he could see her everyday, to be able to grow old with her till the end of his days. That's when Artemis began to think, what if a part of her could be with him.

§§§

"This is not the wisest decision, Artemis. It goes against everything that you stand for." Nyx said, standing next to Apollo who was trying to talk her out of her decision to create a child through a wish.

Artemis looked at her friend and brother, "I watch him each day and I can't do that for the rest of my life, he needs to stop talking to me and if a part of me is with him, a child, my child, we will be together in a way. It's the only way."

Artemis pleaded, wanting to be a part of his life still. She was tired of the separation, and she had made a decision, she couldn't be with him, she had to be the Goddess people knew she was. If she birth a child, all could end and everything would be fine for both parties.

Apollo looked to his sister, "Artemis, you know what this means, don't you? You will have a child, no, we don't even know if this will work and even if it does, what if something goes wrong? What will Zeus do?"

"What could he possibly do? He already poisoned my heart along with the heart of the man I love, he cannot lay a finger on my child, he will not." Artemis stated. She walked over to Nyx,begging. Nyx looked into the eyes of her dear friend, reluctantly, she nodded.

"Apollo, summon Morpheus. We will need him for this." Nyx ordered the God who looked at Nyx offended.

"I'm not a dog. Why not let Artemis do it, she is the one who is wanting a baby!" Nyx looked at Apollo dangerously and Apollo immediately put his head down and walked out of the room as fast as he possibly could.