Chapter One

Sunkit scrambled out of the nursery and flew towards the medicine den before anyone could cat could catch him.

Not like anyone notices him, anyways.

They're always too busy hanging out with Runningkit.

Runningkit. The word sounded bitter in his head.

He was probably the most popular cat in the clan. A kit. Seriously! Everybody would fuss over him and always go on about how amazing he is. Runningkit opened his eyes a few days before Sunkit and was already walking and talking when Sunkit opened his eyes. He heard a tale that Runningkit caught a mouse before Sunkit took his first steps. Not true! Definitely not true!

As long as they're surrounding Runningkit, they'll never take a glance at Sunkit. Sunkit wasn't even sure if his parents knew he existed.

Sunkit crept into a small crack in the cliff by the medicine den. He lived in the Dewclan camp, which was a clearing with little cliffs.

He appeared in a small cave place that could probably fit five warriors. Nobody in the clan knew about it except him. He would play games by himself, like Clan, for instance. It was a fun game he made up but couldn't play with other cats because, well, they were fussing over Runningkit every minute.

Clan was when Sunkit would add some pebbles to make little dens and make a "camp". Then he would be Sunstar, leader of Caveclan.

He even had his own little fresh-kill pile. He got a mouse and put it between the leader's den and the medicine den.
Oh, the medicine den. He stole a few poppy seeds and a few other herbs and put them in there. He even made nests.
Sunkit considered telling the other kits about this. It would be fun to have some cats to play with...

No.
Rosekit and Firekit would start acting like Runningkit was leader. Then they would go in here all the time and play without even thanking Sunkit.

Sunkit's small head started to buzz thinking about all this, so he padded inside his medicine den and chewed on a poppy seed. He knew that they made you sleepy, so he walked drowsily inside his leader's den and fell asleep on his feather-nest.

<><><>

Sunkit scampered out of the cave and wandered over to the fresh-kill pile. He already ate part of the mouse inside, and it started to look lame. Sunkit decided to add something else to it. He glanced over the pile, deciding the sparrow would be okay.

He stepped forward, about to grab it, when someone else bumped into him and snatched it. It was Whitepaw, an apprentice.

She ran away with the sparrow. He stumbled after her as fast as his legs could carry him. "Hey! That was mine!"

He arrived at the nursery. He scrambled inside and saw Whitepaw dropping it in front of Runningkit. "Hey! Do you want this, Runningkit? It picked it out just for you!"

Runningkit hesitated, then smiled. "Okay." He leaned forward and took a bite out of the sparrow.

Sunkit was staring at the sparrow when Whitepaw bumped into him.

"Whoops," Whitepaw mumbled. "You're... Rosekit and Firekit's brother, right?"

"No!" Sunkit corrected, heat pulsing from his pelt. "I'm Runningkit's brother."

"Runningkit has a brother?" Whitepaw frowned. "You don't look like him."

"Just because his pelt is silver and mine is orange doesn't mean we're not related!" Sunkit spat.

Whitepaw walked away, shaking her head.

Runningkit has a brother? The question fizzed through Sunkit's mind. His claws sank into the dirt and he turned away.