Chapter 15 | The Old Man of the Sea |

Start from the beginning

    “If I could take a picture right now, you would not be safe, Percy Jackson.” I said, a smirk forming on my face.

    “A typical male vagrant.” Zoë nodded, satisfied with her work.

    “Thanks a lot,” He pouted, miserably. “Why am I doing this again?”

    “I told thee. To blend in.”

    Zoë led Percy away while I rummaged in the Good Will box Zoë found Percy’s disguise in. I found a deck of cards and decided to play Go Fish with Thalia and Grover while we waited.

    “Got any threes?”

    “Go-” I barely got time to tell her to go fish when Thalia jumped to her feet.

    “He did it!” She cheered, running over to him with Grover, whilst I sent a glare in their direction.

    “Hey! No fair!” I yelled after her as I picked up the cards they left me to pick myself. “I would have won!”

    I picked up the cards and jogged over to them when I heard the weirdest thing.

    “MOOOO!”

    I stared, dropping my cards out of shock. It is not everyday you see the Ophiotaurus on a pier in San Francisco, especially one who knows your best friend/crush!

    “Ah, Bessie. Not now.” Percy said, turning to us, confused. I read his mind and got up. Nereus had given the vague answer of ‘he’s right there’ to him, now he was confused.

    “Mooo!”

    “He says his name isn’t Bessie.” Grover gasped. It’s also not everyday that your friend speaks cow.

    “You can understand her… er, him?”

    “It's a very old form of animal speech. But he says his name is the Ophiotaurus.” Grover said, nodding his head.

    “The Ophi-what?”

    “It means serpent bull in Greek, but can someone tell me why the Ophiotaurus in San Francisco, home of the Antique Vibrator Museum?” I asked, very confused.

    “Why do you know that?”

    “MOOOO!”

    “He says he’s Percy’s protector.” Grover declared. “And he's running from the bad people. He says they are close.”

    “Wait, you know this cow?” Zoë asked, looking at Percy.

    Percy told the story of how he freed it back in camp and how he saw it at the dam and all that jazz. I knew he heard it at the dam, but he could have told me he met it at camp.

    “And you just forgot to mention this before?” Thalia said in disbelief. It seemed like a pretty major detail to just forget.

    “Well…yeah.”

    “I am a fool. I know this story!” Zoë exclaimed.

    “What story?”

    “From the War of the Titans,” She said, wistfully. “My…my father told me this tale, thousands of years ago. This is the beast we are looking for.”

    “Bessie?” Percy looked at the Ophiotaurus downcast. “But…he’s too cute. He couldn’t destroy the world.”

    “That is how we were wrong,” Zoë stated. “We’ve been anticipating a huge dangerous monster, but the Ophiotaurus does not bring down the gods that way. He must be sacrificed.”