chapter 18 | forever & always

"Hello?" Azalea asked as she answered the phone of Mags home, a hopeful tone to her voice as she awaited a response

"Hey, Flor. How's it going?" Tomás asked through the phone.

"Oh, hey Pa." Azalea smiled, happy to hear her dad's voice, even if dissapointment lightly washed over her.

Three weeks had slipped by since Azalea's last (and only) clandestine conversation with Finnick when he first arrived to the Capitol, and the weight of his silence grew heavier with each passing day.

"How are you? How is school? How is training going?." Her father asked her, taking her out of her thoughts.

"I'm okay Mags is baking me delicious food everyday. School is okay. Although I am learning a lot in class, it's super interesting. Training is going okay, I do miss our sessions."

"You better get back in shape because once I return we are not stopping any week. How are your grades?"

"We've barely had any exams yet dad. But to your relief I'm still top of the class.How's everything over there?" Azalea asked, regarding her dad's job mentoring in the Capitol. The Hunger Games loomed ominously, just two days away.

Her dad sighed, changing his voice fully from compassionate dad to mentor perspective, "It's going okay. I think Paulina might have an actual shot at wininng."

"Really?" Azalea said in surprise. She couldn't wait to tell Trishia, a glimmer of hope was nice in this situation. There hadn't been much talk about the tributes within the districts, more than what they'd seen on reaping day. Everything else discussed had been purely for the Capitols enjoyment.

Tomás smiled, "Yea, the sponsors have been loving her so far, she got a good score yesterday, but you never know in these things. She's got her interview tomorrow, hopefully she does well."

A beat of silence was held between the two as Tomás finished his sentence. Azalea knew she didn't need to ask about their other tribute Marco, already knowing the answer of his odds due to her dad's sudden change in tone. Tomás sighed into the call as he continued, "Marco didn't get a good score, but Finnick is still hopeful and optimistic that he is going to make it. He's been training him and giving tips every day."

Azaleas breath caught in her throat at the mention of Finnick. She missed him, and didn't know why he had out of nowhere stopped calling her. She only hoped everything was okay with him. Deep down her heart ached with worry, knowing he was one to close off when something happened, just like he did after his games. She hoped this wasn't the case.

But her mind couldn't stop overthinking since their last call three weeks ago.

Had something happened? Was he safe?

Her dad would've obviously said something to her if that had been the case. He had called her every week. Sometimes twice. She never asked either, assuming Finnick would call her back at some point and tell her everything was fine and he'd just forgotten Mags phone number. But so far nothing. Three weeks and no word from Finnick.