Chapter Two: Just Like Old Times

Start from the beginning

    Humming to herself, Charlie cleared off one of the tables of the busy restaurant. She stopped short as a new customer entered, his hands shoved in his pockets and his head hung low. She immediately recognized him as Michael, whom she hadn't seen in a few days, not since they reunited. Though tempted to call once or twice, she hadn't done so just yet. But now that he was at her job, it seemed to be the perfect opportunity to strike up another conversation. Having him back in her life made her happy, and there was something about his constant lonesome and exhausted expression that made her want to help him.

    Charlie hastened to the kitchen, where she handed off the dirtied dishes. As she headed back into the eating area, she scanned it for Michael. He sat near the back of the diner, silently examining the area. Retrieving a menu, she strolled over.

    "Hey, stranger." She smiled and held it out to him.

    "Hmm?" he said, blue eyes un-hazing flicking up at her, having been zoned out. "Oh." A slight smile crossed his own lips. "Charlie. Wasn't expecting to see you so soon. You...work here?"

    "For now." She nodded.

    "But I take it you plan to work at the pizzeria?" He took the menu from her.

    "Yeah, hopefully one day," she said. "Unfortunately, I don't think I can talk for long, but I'll be serving you." She paused, taking notice of the deep shadows beneath his eyes. "Are you feeling okay?"

    "Mhm," he replied, flipping open the memory and focusing on it. "Why do you ask?"

    "No reason." She turned away. "Just wondering. I'll be back as soon as you're ready to order." And she was. Within a few minutes, she returned and took Michael's order. "I've been meaning to call you," she said as Michael handed the menu back to her. "I mean, if I could get your number, anyway. I planned to ask William or my dad." She cleared her throat, fiddling with the menu while she simply forced out the words she'd been dying to say since they met again. "But, anyway, my point is some of my friends and I are going to a bowling alley for, well, um...fun, I guess. I was wondering if maybe you'd like to come."

    Michael paused, visibly processing this. "Oh." He blinked up at her. "Well...I guess I maybe could, but..." He trailed off.

    "Just think about it," she said. "I'll go turn in your order." She headed away, inwardly kicking herself. Perhaps it hadn't been the best idea to invite him to something like that. She knew even in the past Michael had been rather sensitive to crowds of people he didn't know, if not also incredibly rude and stubborn over such situations. Besides, they had only just seen each other again, after several years. What was she thinking?

    Her break came shortly after she served him. When she mentioned it as she brought his food, to her surprise, he offered that she stay with him at his table. She readily accepted, glad he'd been the first to suggest such a thing. It seemed they truly were getting to know each other again, and she rather liked this. Perhaps her request hadn't been so stupid and uncalled for, after all.

    "So—" she settled across from him with her own lunch— "this is nice. Kind of like when we used to sit together at the old diner, right?"

    Michael winced and shuddered. "Mm. I guess."

    Charlie cleared her throat. "Sorry. I know that's a sensitive subject, I shouldn't have—"

    "No, it's alright." He lifted a hand, keeping his tired eyes glued to his food. She frowned deeply. It certainly didn't look like it was alright. "So how have you been doing?" he asked, obviously trying to change the subject.

    "I've been doing alright." She picked up her sandwich. "Trying to work on the animatronics a bit more, but my dad's being kind of difficult about it."