HOME

A feeling of comfort washed over Medusa. She was standing right in front of her house. Memories of her childhood flashed before her eyes. Days spend in the sun, laughing and giggling with her brother, Teddy. Picking flowers and giving them to her mother and sitting at the diner table telling her family about everything that happened at school. Medusa smiled, happiness filling her chest. For once she forgot about the games and allowed her mind to rest for a little. 

The games were finally over. The interviews were over and here there weren't any fans that she could bump into. No more pretending. Medusa knew it wasn't going to be easy to heal from everything, but she knew that time slowly heals everything. She felt like she didn't deserve to heal. She did kill after all. But she was also still human and it wasn't like she had a choose.

Suddenly the smile slipped from her face as she was faced with reality. Slight nerves burned in her veins as she thought about all the bad and good things that could happen. What if they really believed that she enjoyed killing all those people? What if they didn't want anything to do with her? Her family was everything that she had.

She nervously nibbled on her crushed bottom lip. Lately she had been doing it so much her lips had started to bleed. Luckily for her, they didn't right now. She lightly peeled a little bit of skin from around her fingers. She ignored the slight stinging and didn't dare to look. This is another one of her habits she can't seem to stop. She knows that it probably looks hideous, but she doesn't really care anymore. 

Medusa speaks herself some confidence in as she raises her bruised hand and knocks on the wooden door. Anticipation and hope pulses through her veins. She does her best to sound positive, but she can't help that a few negative thoughts crossed her mind. She really wouldn't know what she would do without her family. The only thing during her games was knowing that if she won she would be able to go home again. To her mother and brother. Maybe they could be a happy family again. 

Her ears twisted as she waited for any noise. Time seemed to tick by a little slower as medusa tried to control her breathing. The temperature outside was starting to turn unbearable, but she couldn't find herself to enter the house. Of course the door was unlocked, but entering made her feel like she was invading her own house. She feels the fresh air and hear the birds whistling. She felt free even though she wasn't. The words her mother spoke to her before she left for the games ran through her mind. 

She heard the slight turning of the keys and held her breath. 'So it was locked' She thinks to herself. To be honest she found it a little weird, but never safe than sorry. She forces to pull the corners of her mound up, trying to act brave. Finally, the heavy door opened, creaking softly like it always did. The sight in front of her made her smile drop. Of all the scenarios she thought of this definitely wasn't one of them. Her mother, Cindy, was standing in front of her, dark bags hung under her eyes and her lips looked cracked. She was holding herself upright with a cane, her dads cane. She looked sick and super pale.

Cindy's mound fell open as a loud gasp left her mound. Tears tickle the corners of her eyes. Immediately she steps forward as the cane clicks lightly. Her legs wobble as she feels her little energy run out. Her mound wobbled slightly as she takes the sight of Medusa in. The lather jumps in her mother's arms as soon as she noticed her reaction. She doesn't hold back her tears as they fall freely from her face. 

Medusa's arms tightly wrap around her mother waist, holding her steady. As the comforting smell of her own mother hits her she softly cries out. Her mother dropped the cane from the impact of the hug, but the both of them ignore the loud sound. It was impossible to explain how much they missed each other and longed for one another. Every day after the reaping, Cindy stayed up all night for several days long watching the games, the training sessions and so much more.